Day 3 - Family time


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We slept in a bit today, which was nice. Even Ethan stayed asleep until after both Mom and I were showered and ready to go. Then we visited our third National Park, the Aztec Ruins (which have nothing to do with Aztecs of Mexico afterall...but that's another story), before we began the 2 1/2 hour drive to Albuquerque. It was a relatively short stop, but we got to walk around among the ruins and get a different experience than we had at Mesa Verde. Plus I got to use my new National Parks Annual Pass and bypass the admission price for all of us. Mom got a book. Ethan got a Junior Park Ranger Badge after completing a double sided assignment and got to observe a small lizard on a wall within the ruins. It was a worthwhile stop and didn't take us out of our way at all. Apparently, that site is Aztec's big attraction besides the annual UFO convention.

I passed two casinos on the way to Albuquerque but I didn't let my Texas Hold 'Em craze sidetrack me from the mission. Grandma was waiting for us to arrive so we could go to lunch. She rarely has an interest in leaving the retirement home so Aunt Marcia said we shouldn't let the opportunity pass us by. We got there around 1:45 and headed to lunch after a short visit. We visited some more after getting back to her apartment. When we walked in after lunch, many residents were seated in a large room while a musician sang and played the piano. Ethan said, "Oh, it looks like they're having church right now." I suppose it probably looked like that a little bit.

Mom made a couple more failed attempts at humor today and we got into a debate about her non-funny Knock Knock jokes. She insisted that since Ethan laughed, that meant they were funny (suggesting that I just coulden't appreciate them). I didn't go as far as to tell her that he was laughing at her. I don't think she would understand.

Grandma especially loved meeting Ethan, even though her poor vision and hearing were clearly challenging. She's called Marcia's house at least 5 times tonight to say how much she enjoyed the visit and to find out what our plans are for seeing her again. At 91, she doesn't remember how many times she has already called or what we decided during the previous call. We'll stop by and see her again tomorrow on our way to another historical sight and then at least one more visit on Monday morning when we are ready to leave town.

The thunderstorm that began towards the end of dinner was the most exciting event for Ethan. He was alternately frightened and curious to get a closer look, like he is with many things. Uncle Bill said surely we must get more rain in Oregon than they get here, but I reminded him it doesn't often come with the thunder and lightning. Hopefully Ethan will sleep well again tonight. Now that the storm has subsided, that only leaves the barking dogs (they have 4) and his anxiety about the coyotes who live in the wooded area surrounding this house in the hills.

I haven't seen Grandma or Uncle Bill since I was in about 8th grade. It's kind of strange to be here with them again as an adult and in the parent role. But as with everything else on the trip so far, the family interactions are going just fine.

Tomorrow we will drive to an area we passed by today on our way in. We'll visit the ancestral puebloan sites at Bandelier and head east from there to Santa Fe. Mom really wanted to see that area. I've read about some must-see destinations there. And Ethan is wondering how cool the city must be since it's named after my car. We'll be riding in a Toyota Sienna, however, since our group of travelers will be too many for my Santa Fe. I expect there will be many more photo opportunities and memories to be made.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb