Looking Back at the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

When we got married, my husband and I received a book titled "101 Places to See in the United States" as a wedding gift. We had no idea how exciting that little book would be to us! As newlyweds, we had more free time on our hands than ever before and we were eager to explore the world! As children, we'd both only gone to the beach once a year with our families, and we'd never really explored the rest of the United States. So, even though we definitely want to go overseas and see foreign lands at some point, we were both super excited to see what the rest of the country had to offer! One of the first spots that caught our eye was the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta. It was part of a longer hot air balloon festival list, but it stood out from the pack due to its immense size and scale. Noted as one of the best festivals of its kind in the world, we knew we had to go! We had gone on a hot air balloon ride in college as a birthday gift to me, and it was incredible and unforgettable. The idea of seeing so many balloons ascending at once was mind-blowing and breath-taking all at once.

We made a long road trip out of the experience. We flew into Santa Fe and spent two days exploring those grounds and learning all about the history of the city. We opted to go on a walking tour so we could really get a feel for the local culture. We ate fantastic green chile burritos at a little tucked-away place called The Shed, browsed the outdoor market and bought two, deep-red corn husk necklaces for my sister and mother back home, and stayed at the sweetest little rustic hotel. The next day, we headed to Albuquerque! While there, we rode the tram up to the top of the very chilly, but very beautiful Sandia Peak, and enjoyed a delicious dinner at the summit.

The next morning, it was time for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta to begin! We knew we wanted to get there in plenty of time to see the big takeoff, which was to occur at sunrise. That meant leaving our hotel around 4:30 in the morning! It was crazy and we were bone-tired but it was totally worth it and we knew it would be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. We grabbed some coffee and headed out the door, bundled in our warmest gear since it was still cold out West at that time of year. At the festival, there were plenty of vendors selling tourist gear and warm food, the most popular and delicious being the incredible breakfast burritos! We grabbed two, found a spot to sit, and settled in to wait for a little bit.

While we were waiting and while the balloonists were setting up, we met another fascinating couple. They were on a six-month road trip around the United States, taking their time to see all the major attractions along the way. They were newly retired and they gave us newlyweds plenty of advice about how to create a marriage based on love, fun, and a sense of adventure. Before we knew it, it was time for the ascent. We all stood up and watched with bated breath as hundreds of hot air balloons of all shapes and sizes rose into the sunrise. I'll never forget that sight as long as I live and I'm so grateful that I got to experience it with my new husband. What a way to start a life together, and what a memory to make at the very beginning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb