Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey
August 19th 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America


HackensackHackensackHackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America

Aug 19, 2009









City official name :Hackensack
Founded date :
Location :New Jersey State
Elavation :? ft (? m)
Area :Approximately ? square miles (? km²).
Facts :Hackensack is a city in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States and the county seat of Bergen County. Although informally called Hackensack, it was officially named New Barbadoes Township until 1921. As of the United States 2000 Census, the city population was 42,677. The Census Bureau's 2006 population estimate projects a population of 43,671. An inner-ring suburb of New York City, Hackensack is located approximately 12 miles (19 km) northwest of Midtown Manhattan. From a number of locations one can see the New York City skyline.

The Metropolitan campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University straddles the Hackensack River in both Hackensack and Teaneck. Hackensack is also the home of the New Jersey Naval Museum and the World War II submarine USS Ling. Astronaut Walter Schirra is perhaps Hackensack's most famous native son.

The first inhabitants of the area were the Lenni Lenape Native Americans (known to the European settlers as the Delaware) who lived along the valley of what they called the Achinigeu-hach, or "Ackingsah-sack", (today
HackensackHackensackHackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
the Hackensack River) and spoke a Munsee dialect of the Algonquian languages. A representation of Chief Oratam of the Achkinhenhcky appears on the Hackensack municipal seal.

As the Dutch settlers of the Dutch West India Company in New Amsterdam (present-day New York City) moved west of the Hudson River in the 1660s, they eventually settled along the Hackensack River calling the area Bergen.

Oratam, sagamore of the Lenni Lenape, deeded the land to the Dutch in 1665 (see the seal of Bergen County). The area was soon taken by the English in 1669, but kept its Dutch name. Philip Cartaret, governor of what was then considered the proprietary colony of East Jersey granted land to Captain John Berry in the area of Bergen and soon after took up residence and called it "New Barbadoes," after having resided on the island of Barbadoes.

In 1675, the East Jersey Legislature officially established the first four counties of present day New Jersey, (Bergen, Essex, Middlesex, and Monmouth).

New Barbadoes Township, together with Acquackanonk Township, were formed by Royal Charter on October 31, 1693.

The neighborhood that came to be known as the village of Hackensack (today the area
HackensackHackensackHackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
encompassing Bergen County's municipal buildings in Hackensack) was a part of Essex County until 1710, when Bergen County, by royal decree of Queen Anne of Great Britain, was enlarged and the Township of New Barbadoes was removed from Essex County and added to Bergen County.

In 1710, the village of Hackensack in the newly formed Township of New Barbadoes was designated as being more centrally located and more easily reached by the majority of the Bergen County’s inhabitants, and hence was chosen as the county seat of Bergen County (as it remains today). During the American Revolutionary War, George Washington headquartered in New Barbadoes Township in the village of Hackensack in November 1776 and camped on 'The Green' across from the First Dutch Reformed Church. This prepared the way for the first American victory of the Revolution the following month at the Battle of Trenton.

The New Jersey Legislature passed a school act in 1894. Each village, borough, town, or city in New Jersey was delegated responsibility for its own public schools through the office of the county superintendent. One result of the 1894 Act was the formation of Hackensack High School in the village of Hackensack in
HackensackHackensackHackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
the Township of New Barbadoes.

Over the centuries, after many departures, secessions, and de-annexations due to what is now referred to as Boroughitis, all that was left of New Barbadoes Township was the village of Hackensack and its surrounding neighborhoods (Fairmount, Red Hill, Cherry Hill). On November 21, 1921, based on the results of a referendum held on November 8, 1921, New Barbadoes Township received its charter to incorporate as a city and officially took on its name “Hackensack,” a name derived from its original inhabitants, the Lenni-Lenape, who named it "Ackingsah-sack."

USS Ling

USS Ling (SS/AGSS/IXSS-297) is a Balao-class submarine of the United States Navy, named for the ling fish, also known as the cobia. Ling is the last of the fleet boats that patrolled American shores during World War II in response to U-boat attacks off the coast of the United States.

Ling was laid down 2 November 1942 by the Cramp Shipbuilding Company in Philadelphia, Penn. She was launched 15 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. E. J. Foy; and was moved to the Boston Navy Yard for completion and testing. Ling was commissioned on 8 June 1945, with Commander George Garvie Molumphy in
HackensackHackensackHackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
command.

After shakedown and further installations, Ling headed out to sea to test her equipment 15 September 1945. The submarine based at Naval Submarine Base New London in Connecticut until she sailed 11 February 1946 for the Panama Canal Zone, arriving eight days later. She operated out of Panama until 9 March when she sailed north. She completed inactivation 23 October at New London, decommissioned 26 October 1946, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

In March 1960, Ling was towed to Brooklyn, New York, where she was converted into a training ship at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, simulating all aspects of submarine operations. She was reclassified an Auxiliary Submarine (AGSS-297) in 1962.

Ling was reclassified a Miscellaneous Unclassified Submarine (IXSS-297), and struck from the Naval Register, 1 December 1971.







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

HackensackHackensack
Hackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
HackensackHackensack
Hackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
HackensackHackensack
Hackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
HackensackHackensack
Hackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America
HackensackHackensack
Hackensack

Hackensack, New Jersey - United States of America


Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 26; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb