Two+ weeks in Virginia Cty


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Viginia City, NVViginia City, NVViginia City, NV

View towards Mt. Davidson. Donny's ashes were scattered above the 'V' at the top.
For those of you who have no idea where Virginia Cty is -- it is between Reno (13 miles) and Carson City, NV (12 miles) at an altitude of 6500 ft. It is the largest historical monument in the US.
Virginia City exploded into exsistance at the discovery of silver in the mid 1800s. The Comstock Lode was named for Henry Comstock when he discovered that "blue stuff" which was a nuisance to the gold miners was in fact fabulously rich silver. The inhabitnates of VC used to cover the streets with the "blue stuff" to get it out of the mines when looking for gold. From 1859 to 1919 there was over 700 million dollars in gold and silver taken from the mines of the Comstock Lode.
By 1865 VC was the second largest city in the West with a population of 30,000 - 40,000. Samuel Clements first used the pen name "Mark Twain" when he lived in VC as a reporter for the local newspaper.
Many of the San Franciso fortunes were made in Virginia City -- and built San Fancisco.
Today the population is approximately 1500 year round residences. Weather is balmy in the summer (75 -85 low humidity) and a long winter in the teens & 20's and alot of snow possible.
I am hosting friends for the July 4th week-end, tending the garden, doing house maintenance and relaxing. I will start heading East about the 14th.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

February, 2010February, 2010
February, 2010

Yes, it snows in VC. View from front deck.
February, 2010 - 2February, 2010 - 2
February, 2010 - 2

Back stairs.


8th July 2010

Thanks
Hi, Sally, Thanks for the history and geography lesson! Never been to Virginia City but looks like a nice place to be. Have fun! Love, Karen

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb