Reno and Nevada


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Reno
December 18th 2010
Published: December 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We were due to leave to the airport at around 6.30am to pick up the rental car and leave San Jose by 8am.
We did not end up leaving San Jose until around 10am, 2 hours behind our very tight schedule.

We packed the car thoroughly with enough food to last us 2 weeks including a cooler, we each also had a suitcase and bedding. We packed a first aid kit, car gear for all weather and a lot of energy/caffeinated drinks.
Within 90 minutes we had already passed Sacramento, the capital of California and were well on our way to Nevada.
As we passed Lake Tahoe from the North side, there was heavy snow, and we were required to use snow chains on the tyres of out car.

We were delayed, but arrived in Reno by 2.20pm. We parked up in El Dorado hotel and casino and walked around the city briefly.

We left sharp and drove across the Nevada desert. The roads were very long and straight. The land very dry and arid with the occasional hot spring. We drove mostly in the dark in Nevada.

Our initial plan was to head to Salt Lake City, but we changed our mind due to change of circumstances.
Firstly, we were no longer able to stay in the persons house because we would arrive too late. And when we did arrive in Salt Lake City, we would have only a few hours to look around.
The weather forecast for Salt Lake City was torrential rain.

We reached the consensus that it was a better idea to drive further, to Yellowstone National Park.
Our 400 mile journey through Nevada began in Reno and ended in Wells, where we decided to head North to Idaho.

I was very surprised that on the border of Nevada and Idaho, there were many casinos, and commercial buildings, of which there were none in the centre of the state.
It appeared that Nevada had the biggest cities located by the borders of the state, with the middle cities; Elko, Battle Mountain etc. with nothing interesting at all.

After driving to Twin Falls in Idaho, I fell asleep. As I was asleep, Ace and Tom continued driving through snow storms to Jackson in Wyoming.
I missed all of the late night scenery of Idaho, but didnt feel like I missed much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb