Bigger! Brighter! Bolder! Better!


Advertisement
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
October 30th 2014
Published: November 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On my flight to Las Vegas one of the movies I watched on the way was "The Edge of Tomorrow". Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt get to relive the day over and over again, basically until they get it right. It felt like I too had that opportunity, well only the once, as thanks to the miracle of the international date line I landed in Vegas before I left Sydney. Plot spoiler - my days went a whole lot bette... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The reach of Lorde....in Las VegasThe reach of Lorde....in Las Vegas
The reach of Lorde....in Las Vegas

Not bad for a 17 year old from suburban Auckland



4th November 2014

Unbelievable
I can't imagine flying to the US. for 3 or 4 days but sounds like you saw a lot. I don't really count Vegas as the U.S. but it can be a lot of fun for a short period of time as you found out. I've done the helicopter over the Grand Canyon but not along the strip. That might be fun. I'm not a gambler but the shows are worth seeing.....any of them. Indeed bigger, brighter, bolder, ......and a waste of electricity. I would imagine small nations could be supported by that power bill.
4th November 2014

Las Vegas
It was a fun trip, if a little short. Like you, I'm not a gambler at all, but it was fascinating to see all the slot machines everywhere - including the airport! I know, I kept thinking about the excesses that surrounded me, including the power. Fun for a short time.
4th November 2014

Big Beautiful Scary
WOW - I always think about visiting somewhere like Vegas and spin out at the sheer human volume......now red rocks on the other hand - going to add that to the wish list :)
4th November 2014

Red Rocks
The Red Rock Canyon was really beautiful and sort of undiscovered in a way, with 37 million visitors to Vegas every year but only around 1 million to Red Rock Canyon. It made it all the better :) It was really stunning.
4th November 2014

Wow!!!
All the way from Sydney to Las Vegas for only three days! Not even time to adjust to jet lag, but it sounds like you had a great time. Many people go to Las Vegas to get married...you didn't mention that?
4th November 2014

Las Vegas weddings
There was so much to boggle the mind about the trip to Las Vegas....and you are right, many people go there to get married. I saw one stat that said that on average, there are 315 weddings every day in Las Vegas - incredible! I wonder how many divorces there are??
4th November 2014

Trapped!
I visited Caesar's Palace once, and couldn't find my way out. In order to get out of the casino, you have to pass through the gaming area, and once in the gaming area, there are no straight lines, and NO exit signs. God forbid they ever need to evacuate the building in a hurry. I would set my eyes on a security guard - there are lots of them - walk to him, ask directions, and walk to the next visible security guard. And of course there are lots of bright lights to tempt you to leave your money with them rather than walk away.
4th November 2014

Trapped!
It's funny you mention that, we had a similar experience! We had a bit of time before our show so went for a bit of a wander, then next thing you know we were completely lost. Obviously we escaped!
5th November 2014

Short and sweet...
Las Vegas isn't my cup of tea, but I would love to see it the way you did. That helicoptor ride sounds amazing :)
5th November 2014

Hit by lightning
I reckon you must have been hit by lightning to fly over the Pacific and back for a handful of days Rachael...or maybe it was the thrill of the chase...then turning around and heading back home again...or maybe you really wanted to be blinded by the brightest lights on the planet...or maybe deep down you are a gambler!
5th November 2014

Las Vegas
I am definitely nuts whichever way you look at it! Definitely not a gambler, I didn't spend a cent. I figured they got $6 billion last year, they didn't need any help from me :)
5th November 2014

Oof what a trip! Not my favourite place in the world, but you made it sound great!
5th November 2014

It was fun for a few days....and let's face it, I don't need to go back!
5th November 2014
Views over Las Vegas

Amazing!
I must say, it's always so curious when foreign travelers say they want to go to Las Vegas and Los Angeles, since for us Americans, those are the last places we visit. And for you to do it all the way from Sydney--mind-blowing. However, it seems you found very exciting things to do and squeezed lots of pleasure and amazing experiences out of it--congrats! Glad you made it to Red Rock Canyon for some balance.
5th November 2014
Views over Las Vegas

It wasn't somewhere I chose to go, but I thought if I was going, I would make the most of it! I've been to LA a few times now, but that's a case of geography as from NZ or Australia that is the entry point, and when I've travelled to either Mexico or Central America it's a practical place to stop off and break up the journey. One of these days I would love to explore the real USA.
5th November 2014

Vegas
Many of my friends were always talking about making it to Vegas one day which always puzzled me a bit... I always thought of it as nothing but a big money making machine... still there is definitely no other place like that in the world... Saying it is totally over the top would probably be an understatement... Happy to see there is more to it than just gambling... Not my cup of tea, but who knows I might make it there one day... Will head to the red canyon first then :-) thanks for sharing!
6th November 2014

Vegas
Wasn't top of my bucket list that's for sure, but was fun for a few days. Red Rock Canyon is really beautiful, and definitely worth the visit!
6th November 2014

Vegas!
As you've probably garnished from the comments, serious’ backpackers/travelers avoid this destination like the plague as it represents to them the antithesis of the ‘authenticity’ that they seek. But it seems you had a great time. I found the place fascinating on so many levels. As I do reading peoples impressions. Fantastic!
6th November 2014

Vegas!
Yes I did have fun! It was also a new destination for me, and I always like to experience something new.
13th November 2014
Views over Las Vegas

Fantastic picture!
15th November 2014
Views over Las Vegas

Thanks! It's a great photo, I wish I could take credit for it :)

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb