Vegas: The OASIS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
June 29th 2013
Published: June 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

JABBAWOCKEEZ!JABBAWOCKEEZ!JABBAWOCKEEZ!

If I had the money, I would have loved to see this dance crew live!
After a trip, people always ask, "How was your trip? Did you have fun? What did you do?"

The general reply is, "Good, yes, and I did (insert short phrase here)."

The purpose of this blog entry is not to ramble on about my personal three day adventure in the American Southwest desert oasis but to emphasize the modern marvel that is LAS VEGAS.

I traveled from green temperate Oregon with its indecisive weather patterns to brown/orange Nevada with its incessant sunshine and dry air. Yet amidst this dessert's barren wasteland thrives the city of sin. When planning this trip, I opted out of going to shows, paying cover charges for nightclubs, and gambling copious amounts of money. Why? One: I did not have much money to spend. Two: I knew there were loads to do without money. Three: I knew I would be back to visit again.

In the last year, I had a few close friends and a cousin move to Las Vegas. This trip was not just about seeing Las Vegas; it was about seeing friends. It made traveling the city easier. I never had to pay for a cab, and they knew where
Ancient Architecture Hidden in a Modern CityAncient Architecture Hidden in a Modern CityAncient Architecture Hidden in a Modern City

The old Parisian based hotel reflected in a modern casino.
to go and what to do. If I travel anywhere again, I may just choose destinations with friends. It really eases the stress of vacationing.

Vegas is a tourist mecca. It's apparent almost no one in Vegas was from Vegas. I noted that a majority of the staff wasn't even from America. There were plenty of Latinos, Chinese, and Filipinos. What I found inspiring about Vegas was that despite the recent downfall in tourism there, it still seemed to thrive. Sure the city had three semi-built ferris wheels that may never be finished, but the plethora of themed casinos makes the city worth going to.

So what is there to do in Vegas? EVERYTHING! From the thrill seekers of sky-diving and bungee jumping to the lazy man's day by the pool. Vegas really does have it all. I spent a good couple days just walking the Strip, awing at the modern twist on ancient architecture. Casinos based on castles, pyramids, early twentieth century New York, Venice, Ancient Rome, etc.

I usually plan out trips. I create an itinerary of what needs to be done and when, but I wanted to be spontaneous. I created a short list of must-sees but in the end this trip was about brushing the surface. Next time, I will experience of Las Vegas.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb