Vegas - where god is good, beer is great and people are crazy...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
June 16th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Vegas baby!Vegas baby!Vegas baby!

The bright lights of the Las Vegas strip
Ok so Vegas sure is a long way from my last destination the Middle East, in every way. So it’s kind of a culture shock and what a fun one it has been!

The jam packed week began in LA where my friend AL and I hit Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood and Santa Monica. Hiring a hot grey coloured Spyder Eclipse convertible and driving along the beaches (Thelma & Louise style) to San Diego was a highlight. Much to our surprise, driving on the other side of the road was a breeze though we were amazed at LA's traffic gridlock. Even at 1am when we were heading back along a 6 lane highway to LA, we were at a standstill with traffic! Madness!

After a frantic 3 days in California things were about to get even crazier in Vegas. We arrived in Sin City at about 6pm and were amazed at the heat - it was 45 degrees and after coming from a gloomy 18 degrees in LA it was a nice shock to the system. We managed to get our entire week organised with our names on the door lists for all the hot clubs. My excitement was at fever pitch when we drove down Las Vegas Boulevard for the first time and saw the lights. The place is truly crazy. Anything goes there. It makes Australia and any other place I have been to for that matter, seem like a fragile and protected species. Vegas just ooze excessive consumption, sex, booze and greed (great fun for a few days)!

After checking in at MGM Grand we dressed ourselves up to the nines and headed to Pure night club - part of Caesars Palace Casino. The views from the club of the strip were amazing but we were quick to learn that in order to get a seat in these places you needed to purchase a table at a minimum of $500. Yep it was expensive but we were lucky enough to meet some fellow Aussie guys and together we purchased a table and some bottles and the rest of the night was history. Well it was more like the Hangover movie in the morning when all our heads could give us was a vague memory of getting home in the blazing sun (no idea at what time) and without a razoo in our wallets. Except of course, a $25 Bellagio chip and $10 Caesars Palace chip - which helped us piece together where we had been. It sure was a night to remember (or not)!!

After 3 nights of doing it rough at MGM Grand we moved up a level for 2 nights to the Bellagio and continued the week with plenty of retail shopping, partying and attending the fabulous Cirque de Soleil 'O' (this is a must see when in Vegas) and a very funny celebrity impersonator and hypnotist show. The clubs pumped no matter what night it was (XS and Studio 54 were a hoot) and the people watching was sometimes mind boggling. The boobs and tiny dresses were a sight and after the first 3 nights in heels our feet were struggling big time. To top off the week we were lucky enough to fly to the Grand Canyon by chopper - something I totally recommend. As we flew over the amazing terrain I also couldn’t help but laugh at the lyrics of a song that was blaring in our ears from the chopper's radio ‘God is good, beer is great and people are crazy’. Ahhh only in America! 😊
Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

Ouch!!! In the middle of the Grand Cayon - it was 50 degrees celius!

Some fun hints for visiting California and Las Vegas:

1. Don't catch a bus from downtown LA to Santa Monica - it takes 2 hours!
2. Do hire a convertible and drive the Californian coastline - it's superb.
3. Go to a buffet in Vegas - the food isn't the attraction, it's the clientele that are worth watching.
4. Don't go to Chateau Marmont expecting to see a celebrity - it's not always going to happen.
5. Remember when you're in Vegas - 'that's just the way it is'

So until my next adventure from somewhere different - this is Crazy Amy signing off.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Our beautiful Spyder EclipseOur beautiful Spyder Eclipse
Our beautiful Spyder Eclipse

Doing it Laguna Beach style.
San Diago San Diago
San Diago

Al and I supporting San Diego at a ballgame
Teeing off in the heatTeeing off in the heat
Teeing off in the heat

Nevada destert golf course


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb