Las Vegas & Hoover Dam


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
May 8th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Las Vegas Belagio Dancing Water Fountain 18 secs
Las Vegas Facts:

1. Amount in miles of lighted neon tubing on the Strip and Downtown 15,000
2. Number of hotel rooms 124,270
3. Average number of Vegas weddings per day 315

March 30 Day 1
We arrived in Vegas in the early afternoon and were greeted with sunny skies, waving palm trees and temps in the 80's--perfect tourist weather. We checked into the our hotel the "Luxor" which is shaped like a pyramid with a great view from the 21st floor. We enjoyed exploring other hotels and shops in the next few blocks. We soon discovered there were people everywhere of many different nationalities. Also it was Spring Break in the state so there were college students all over. We would have many choices of restaurants, shows and things to keep us busy the rest of the week. With the 2 hour time difference we were exhausted by 9:00 PM.

March 31-Day 2
We slept in and so does most everyone in the hotel. After breakfast around 9:00 we head for a day on the strip. Weather is windy and only in the 60's so it is on the chilly side but still warmer than it was in Bismarck. Endless stores and shops to explore. My favorite was the M&M store all 4 levels. Being I love M&M's and collect M&M stuff I had fun purchasing a black M&M jacket, mug, and stickers for my grand daughters. We took a ride up the "Eifel Tower" to enjoy a great view of the entire city. Rob enjoyed the Harley Davis Restaurant/store.

What shows should we book to attend? So many good choices. We each could pick one. I picked the Lion King ($115 a piece) and Rob picked Cirque de Soilel ($165 each). This was the most we'd ever spend on a show but we were on vacation and "we deserved it." Our feet hurt after a long day of walking.

April 1-Day 3
After a delicious breakfast of Crepes, we decided to take in the Shark Tank display-one of three shows that came in a package deal. What a unique variety of colorful fish and turtles in huge aquariums. Later we walked the strip and decided to take the monorail. We got in on a spectacular water fountain show with music in front of the Belagio hotel. Only wish we could have seen it at night. Then we walked through the Miracle Mile Shops--unique classy shops and stores with the ceiling painted like an open sky. It felt like we were walking down the streets of Paris. That night we took in our first show "The Lion King." We had fabulous seats close to the aisle and when the
cast came down the aisles dressed in tall beautiful animal costumes and masks you felt like you right on stage. The unique costume/puppet like animal characters with very unique makeup looks so real. Of course the music and dancing was outstanding too. Worth every penny we spent. We did gamble off and on each day never losing or winning much but kept trying

April 2-Day 4
This morning we did not sleep in and headed out to Hoover Dam about a 45 minute drive from Southwest of Vegas. What an incredible sight to be standing on top of the dam and look down. Also we saw the new bridge that is being built over the valley/dam and will be completed this fall. We beat the AM rush of cars which we noticed were backed up for several miles as we left later that morning. We wanted to drive to see the Grand Canyon by way of that overlook called "The Rim." Were we coached by locals not to drive out to "The Rim" being you have to pay to get onto several toll roads and also pay a fee to get on the "Rim." Beside what you see in only the reservation and not the Grand Canyon. So Rob and I decided to take a 5 minute helicopter ride over Hoover Dam and the Red canyon. WOW what an exciting 5 minutes.

That afternoon we came back to Vegas and hit a big outlet mall called "Premium Outlet Mall." After that our feet hurt. So we grabbed a nap, ate supper, and decided to watch a movie back in our room. It was a long day and we slept well.

April 3-Day 5
Rob gets a touch of the stomach flu. We have been eating way too much and even though we are walking alot I feel we aren't getting enough exercise. But by late morning Rob is feeling better and we hit the strip again. The weather is finally getting nicer and we have more places to see and explore.

We took in another display from our package of three. This one was the Titanic. You entered getting a ticket like you were a passenger. It was very sobering and realistic as you walked through that night the ship went down.

That evening we attend the Cirque du Soilel KA at the MGM hotel. We had to have some popcorn and decided we'd better enjoy it when the small popcorn and small bottle water came to $7.00. Thiscircus/Hollywood/broadway type show had the most incredible set which was at least 4-5 stories high with a stage the rotated and tilted completely at a 90 degree angle. The actors and trapeze artists hung from ropes and swung across the audience and stage with spectacular precision. The sound was incredible being each seat had its own speaker near your head.

We are wind blown back to our hotel but Rob still manages to get some great pics and video of the strip at night.

Day 6
It is Easter and we decided to attend a local Assembly of God Church . They had a great live band and worship team and were very friendly. They presented a Easter Drama with live music from their band and choir.

We came back and ate lunch at one of our favorite mexican restaurants in our hotel. A authentic mexican ensemble serenaded each table. Back to the hotel room for a siesta.

Later that afternoon we finished up our package of 3 with the "Bodies" display. I was reminded of the scripture in Psalms 139 that says "we are fearfully and wonderfully made". We have an awesome creator who put our incredible bodies together.
We gambled our last credit slip and did not win the jackpot or the car.

Our Vegas adventure is coming to a close as we start to pack.

Day 7 April 5
It's back to Bismarck. We don't get back till almost midnight and then back to work on Tuesday morning. We did enjoy a relaxing time together. Vegas is a very inexpensive vacation--food and hotels are very reasonable. Just remember to bring comfortable shoes, a jacket, and of course some shopping money.





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb