Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
July 12th 2009
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

July 6th
On our way towards sin city. We knew it was a long drive and the only reason for stopping in Vegas was a break and maybe a bit of curiosity. We saw a lot of desert and a lot of Joshua Trees - a sort of over grown Yucca. About 80 miles before Las Vegas we had t stop for gas and other things that could not be waited upon. But it was a chock to leave the car. It was like walking into a wall of heat and having somebody put a blowdryer into your mouth on 'HOT'. Continued towards Las Vegas and already far from the city the hotels and casinos started lying along the highway.

And suddenly there it was; billboards, hotels and not a lot more. And we could see the 'strip' hotels - the MGMGrand, the Excalibur and the New York, New York and a lot more.

Went for the self parking at MGM which turned out to be a mistake. When we at last found the reception, they told us to come around the car to the valet parking area, where we could also get bagage service - complimentary but tips not included! After running around and asking several people who turned out to work in the casino, we at last found our room and after another half hour our luggage arrived. We were looking forward to the pool but for some strange reason it already closed at 8 pm and we had just lost one hour, so no pool for us 😞. Strange when you think about the temperature. Took a walk around the MGM it was like being in an airport so huge. Went to see the NY, NY and we crossed the strip on a pedestrian bridge outside - excruciatingly hot. Eskil was really tired and we decided to split up so Freja and Paul went to eat at the Rainforest Cafe and Eskil and Tine ended up eating chinese sitting at the sushi bar. Eskil got a new friend, a chinese woman who thoght he was very cute!

Everything was very expensive and everywhere people were gambling and it was such a contrast to the quiet of Yosemite that we were all - well perhaps not Freja - a bit disgusted and taken aback by this circus, but we guess it's supposed to be outrageous - with things like a lion den inside the hotel - poor lions.

The MGMGrand might have been a big hotel but it was not something we appreciated and compared to Tenaya Lodge the quality was not the same even though it was supposed to be a 4 star hotel.

Went to bed and had the first night where we had to have the aircondition running all night. That made a lot of noise! And caused a lot of complaints from Freja even though she was wearing earplugs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



17th July 2009

Memories of Las Vegas
Hello Good Danish Friends: I loved Tine's comments about Las Vegas and her descriptions especially the "Blow Dryer in your mouth on HOT" are appropriate. In all my years of living in southern California I have only been to Las Vegas twice and both times it was to connect with friends. Unless you are a gambler there is not much there. Yosemite is wonderful and I hope you enjoyed the scenery. The Grand Canyon is very dry like the desert but spectacular when you consider how it was formed from water erosion over 100,000's years. Keep the blog going. It is fun to chronicle your impressions of America. Michael

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb