Laters gnomie.......


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok so a quick intro....we are well behind on blogs but rather than back track i thought i'd bring you up to speed on whats happening now...... For those of you that don't know Katy is now back in England Whereas I have continued into the USA for 1 more month of travel.....Fear not we did not fall out, fight, argue, any of the above it was arranged ages ago so its all good.
Obviously our parting was not to go swiftly. A simple flight to JFK then casually part (that was the plan) This is what actually happened.....
After 4 hours sleep in Venezuela we arrived at the airport. Flight delayed 6 hours , its ok though there's another flight we can get on....only problem have to fly to Miami then onto JFK. Couldn't help singing Will SMiths Miami in queue for immigration. However that soon stopped as we had our seperate "interigations" These were carried out by Miamis finest and it wasn not the nicest experience. Due to lengthy process it appeared we'd missed our connecting flight but as luck would have it, this too was slightly delayed so we still made it. By time we eventually arrived at JFK we were in a blind rush to get our bags then race to our seperate terminals. A quick hug and ann "in a bit gnomie" and then there was one.........
Managed to check in no fuss chatting to a guy who lived in Vegas and had previously lived in NY so gave me plenty of helpful of advice which i dutifully forgot in my tiredness moments later! Arriving at my hotel around midnight I was told my room had changed and I was going to get a "good room" obviously the clerk was confused as to why this mere backpacker should be getting an upgrade! 15 floors later I walked into my "room"which was bigger than my old house! Kitchen, lounge, dressing room, bathroom, 2 TV's and the biggest most comfortable 4 poster bed i'd ever been graced with. Obviously after travelling for around 48 hours with 4 hours sleep the sensible thing to do would be to get some sleep. So of course i showered, drank a whole pot of coffee and hit the "strip" Walking for an hour being blown away by all the casino/hotels, gorgeous women and the heat. Eventually made it back to Circus Circus (my hotel) watched a game of craps (the dice one). Didn't really have a clue what was going on but half hour later with $80 worth of chips i was pretty much copying everyone else finding myself $35 up. Realising it was 5:30am i retired for some much deserved sleep. Headed straight for the buffet the following morning and i was in heaven. Had my stomach been pre-travelling size i'd have been there all day but still gave it a good go.
Deciding to explore my casino/hotel/theme park after about an hour of circus acts, slot machines, fun fair games and firtune telling machine "Zolitar" (the one from the film BIG) I also had a go on the olde roulette. PLacing a bet of $4 on red 12 it came in and i won $105 doubling my money however caught in the moment i soon spent it all again! I decided i'd leave the hotel to hit the shops.....easier said than done! The whole place is designed so that at each turn there's some sort of gambling apparatus and no signs kindly pointing the way out. Half an hour later walking in circles and getting severely pissed off I eventually found daylight, almost dying on the spot from the 45 degree heat.
My previous evenings stroll made me concious of how i was dressed. Not really feeling the combats and T-shirt I set out for some retail therapy buying some jeans and a shirt. Back at hotel sampled the heat by the side of the pool being cooled down by a frozen margharita.
Later a well needed power nap, awoke at 10pm dressed in my new attire having to fashion ome hair gel out of moisturiser. I set off (on Gary's advice) to PLanet Hollywood's buffet. Being an hour walk away, by time i arrived it was shit! Great! So at 11:30pm went to Harley Davidson cafe. Guy asked if i wanted a table for 1? Embarrassed i merely nodded and received curious stares from people. Im guessing they were all wondering why i was a loner!
Opting for fajhitas with a side order of fries (which could have been a meal on there own) washing it down with a couple of coronas. Wasn't sure if i'd make it back to my hotel it was an hour walk and i was soooo tired and my eyes were ruined! Had to be careful when passing people as it looked like i was trying to size them up or eye them up! Crashed into bed at 1:30am thankful for the lie in next day. So although I only had 2 nights in Vegas I really enjoyed it. I'm sure it's much better with a few mates and an endless supply of cash but I had a great timee and i'd love to go back and take in the grand canyon and a show or two.

Advertisement



13th August 2008

No clocks in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Greg Sounds like you had a ball and won some cash, at least. the hotels are certainly geared up for the gamblers and don't show the time in the casinos so you could be there for a week and not know it! Their buffets are always good especially for someone with your appetite! The thing I remember most about Vegas is stepping off the plan, getting in to the terminal and facing a bank of slots!! They want to get you in the mood as soon as you arrive. Even when you stop at the bars in the hotels they have poker machines embedded in the bar surface. Enjoy San Fransisco.... Love Pa xxx
14th August 2008

ahh bless you table for one? im sure you will get used to it i suppose your first time on your own gonna be strange, sounds like you had a great time and i cant believe $4 turned into $105 how lucky are you but yes i would probably spend it all again. hope you got some decent pictures id love to go to vegas, enjoy san francisco xxx

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb