ENTRY 59 — Vegas


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
March 27th 2017
Saved: September 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post




ENTRY 59 March 27th 2017




Las Vegas (PhotoBlog)







Our flight from Montreal landed at 6 pm. and we arrived at
">our hotel on
">Fremont Street an hour later. Miranda and I very much enjoyed Las Vegas but I did ">gain some weight and I am now on a diet! Here are a few photos from that time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 22


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

KnobkerrieKnobkerrie
Knobkerrie

Bryan stands in the lobby of the Golden Nugget holding his knobkerrie (also spelled knobkerry, and knobkierie). It is a hardwood staff with a large knob at one end. In Southern Africa it is generally used as a weapon but a longer version can be used as a walking stick. Bryan was given his as a gift while living in Butterworth many years ago.
The Golden NuggetThe Golden Nugget
The Golden Nugget

The largest casino on Fremont Street in the original part of Las Vegas, the Golden Nugget was first opened in 1948 and has been continually upgraded since. This entrance faces onto the Fremont Experience, a traffic-free walkway featuring a sound and light show projected onto an overhead canopy every hour each night.
World's Largest Golden NuggetWorld's Largest Golden Nugget
World's Largest Golden Nugget

What would a casino named the Golden Nugget be without a golden nugget? Here Bryan stands next to the "Hand of Faith," purported to be the world's largest, discovered near Kingower, Victoria, Australia, and weighing 960 oz. (27,200 g).
The Helpful DoormanThe Helpful Doorman
The Helpful Doorman

The staff at the Golden Nugget was always helpful and full of information. Here is the doormen who helped us with directions and explained to us why the hotels and buffets are so inexpensive (for those who don't gamble).
The Waterfall and PoolThe Waterfall and Pool
The Waterfall and Pool

Miranda enjoys a rather empty pool area early in the morning at the Golden Nugget. Some mornings were so cool that people would have to wait to sun themselves.
Strolling to McDonaldsStrolling to McDonalds
Strolling to McDonalds

Miranda heads off along Fremont on an early morning jaunt to the local McDonalds restaurant.
The "D"The "D"
The "D"

Just down from the Golden Nugget, the "D" casino housed the McDonalds and was also the location of a number of antique games and slot machines.
Breakfast Breakfast
Breakfast

The nearest McDonalds was a good place for breakfast, although very cold, early in the morning. Miranda's favorite meal was a sausage and egg McMuffin. Here she rubs her frozen hands. (Bryan is more a Starbucks kind of guy.)
Las Vegas: The GamblerLas Vegas: The Gambler
Las Vegas: The Gambler

Actually the secret to enjoying Las Vegas is not to gamble at all.
BinionsBinions
Binions

Bryan stands in front of Binions casino across from the Golden Nugget on Fremont. Along this stretch of the canopied walkway, many people dressed up in wild attire in order to have their photo taken with tourists (for money).
Fortune TellerFortune Teller
Fortune Teller

One of the many sights along Fremont for the tourists was this Fortune Teller wagon.
The Golden NuggetThe Golden Nugget
The Golden Nugget

Miranda relaxes at the pool bar.
Christmas decorations Christmas decorations
Christmas decorations

The Golden Nugget was gorgeous with its Christmas decor. Miranda especially likes the poinsettias.
Our Room at the Golden NuggetOur Room at the Golden Nugget
Our Room at the Golden Nugget
St. Valentine's Day Massacre WallSt. Valentine's Day Massacre Wall
St. Valentine's Day Massacre Wall

An exhibit at the Mob Museum
Las Vegas, NevadaLas Vegas, Nevada
Las Vegas, Nevada

(Winter 2016 FotoetimePhoto CR) Photo taken outside the Paris Hotel and Casino
Inside the 'D' casinoInside the 'D' casino
Inside the 'D' casino
"Penny ante" gambling"Penny ante" gambling
"Penny ante" gambling

The 'vintage' games at the 'D' casino was where we went for the free wine; generally an afternoon of play would cost us about two dollars. In addition to the fine Merlot, Miranda actually hit it 'big' using quarters. (Her horse paid out 40-1.) We had great fun as the we felt we had stepped back into the 1880s.
Vintage GameVintage Game
Vintage Game

The people were here for the fun as it was impossible to lose (or win) much money.
Gordie Brown posterGordie Brown poster
Gordie Brown poster

An excellent impressionist, Gordie Brown was one of the entertainers at our hotel.
The Ice BarThe Ice Bar
The Ice Bar

One of the many bars in our hotel


Comments only available on published blogs

1st March 2020

Your travels
You guys do certainly get around, don't you!
1st March 2020

Yep
Yep LOL

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb