Y2K


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
December 31st 1999
Published: December 31st 1999
Edit Blog Post

Ok, I admit it, I was caught by the hype of making the turn of the millennium one to remember. No fear of the Y2K bug, no fear of lunatics sending a missile into a crowd in a high profile location. SO, Vegas here we come! Cruising into the Strip for the first time is a mighty experience, even for an experienced traveler like myself. The eyes are all over the place, there is so much to see, everywhere you look. The insanely grand hotels/casinos, all of them a theme park in themselves, leave a lasting impression for the first-timer. Appears to be a good choice for celebrating the grandest of New Years, the holiday with capital H. Our little group of six lucked out on the rental car; found one that fit our needs exactly, the day before New Years Eve. The trip from LA to Vegas went by smoothly. But finding a hotel, coming unannounced the day of the big bang...? Surprisingly we're on a roll, finding a small room in a small motel right off the Strip. A one-bed room for the six of us. Not ideal, but what the hell...Inevitably, Vegas gets the best out of the gambler. While Kim & Annica put their luck in the hands of the Keno announcer, I explore the city with the others. A rule of thumb seems to be: the better, bigger, and more expensive the hotel/casino, the more beautiful the drink-serving ladies. Some of the finest in the business of serving drinks to gamblers can be found at the Venetian. Very impressive, this construction inspired by la bella Venezia. I know, so far lots of rambling about the city, but little about the actual event. So, in short: A cold day in the desert. Our disintegrated group managed to gather a couple of hours before midnight, watching on TV the celebration in places in time zones ahead of Nevada. Hit town again to join the masses, only to see the group split again. Hook up with the Dane for a quick burger. Who would have thought that at 11.30pm on December 31, 1999, I'd be at Burger King enjoying a Whopper Meal...? Well, at least the line is short...And we make it well in time for the countdown and the fireworks. Countdown goes smoothly. Fireworks are nowhere to be seen. Bummer, a New Years without fireworks. Bad. The day after I witness one of the most tragical sights ever; a wedding couple in one of the casinos, the guy in his tuxedo hitting the slot machines, the bride in her wedding dress sitting on the chair next to him looking as bored as can be. Wonder if he found his luck, and where...In any event, bottom line is, whatever one does in Vegas, gambling or not, it is bound to leave a perpetual mark in memory.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb