Day 11- Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Lake Mead
July 11th 2012
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The temperature was so scorching on this leg! You will see pictures where our car read 119 degrees and we all know that the car only reads 2-3 degrees hotter than it is. I couldn't believe we were even passing through towns with gas stations and trailers in this heat. Who lives out here!

We arrived in Las Vegas around 3:00pm (PDT) and it was a whopping 113 degrees outside. We thought our skin would melt. It was horrible. We found the nearest DQ for some ice cream and then called ourselves waiting in the room a few minutes so it could 'cool' off. Dumb thought, right? Well, it was very much NOT cooler in a few minutes. However, we still went to the Hoover Dam and I nearly died. The heat was absolutely unbearable. Oddly, or maybe not, there were plenty of other sightseers out there with us torturing themselves for a check off the bucket list. It was definitely worth it. Another powerful source of energy was right there at our footsteps to witness firsthand. Industry thought: If only students were able to realize the words of their textbooks with their own eyes, what a difference it would make. Exposure is such a necessity for our students. Apologies for the digression...

SO we stayed at the Hacienda Hotel and Casino one exit from the Dam and it took all 20 of our dollars(we're big ballers). What a rip! This was no Vegas Casino.

Next, the Grand Canyon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



15th July 2012

Fry a Egg
After 119 degrees, 100 will seem like winter.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb