Lake Mead - Hoover Dam Bridge, NV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Lake Mead
May 13th 2011
Published: May 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


LAKE MEAD
Lake Mead National Recreation Area is a 30-mile ride east of Las Vegas for those interested in water sports. The lake is the world's largest man-made reservoir and provides a wide variety of year-round recreational activities, including: boating, swimming, hiking, scuba diving and sport fishing. The 1.5-million acre recreation area that surrounds the lake is equally unique. Three of the nation's four desert ecosystems meet here - the Great Basin, Mojave and Sonoran deserts. Lake Mead is open year-round. A small admission fee is now required. As with any outdoor recreation getaway in southern Nevada, visitors should bring plenty of water and dress for the season.
Lake Mead

•Beaches
•Swimming
•Waterskiing
•Boating
•Cruises
•Rafting
•Camping
•Lodging
•Picnicking
•Hiking Trails
•Fishing
•Visitor Center




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOOVER DAM

Hoover Dam is named after President Herbert Hoover, who championed the construction of the immense concrete dam, in order to harness the power of the Colorado River. The spectacular dam created a new water supply, hydroelectric power, and water for irrigation, both municipal and industrial, bringing life to the desert surrounding it. Hoover Dam is an astonishing 726 feet high and 600 feet thick at its base, but it's at the observation points on top where the view is truly breathtaking. For a close look inside the dam and how it operates, guided tours are available for a small fee. The Visitor Center is open daily 9-5 except closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. The newly built bypass bridge, nearly 2,000 foot long, connects the Arizona and Nevada Approach highways nearly 900-feet above the Colorado River.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb