Lonely roads in Nevada


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Ely
August 7th 2009
Published: August 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lonely Road: Idaho? Nevada? Montana?Lonely Road: Idaho? Nevada? Montana?Lonely Road: Idaho? Nevada? Montana?

These two lane highways look pretty similar out West.
We decided to try some two lane highways instead of the usual interstates, mainly the 90 and the 80, when traveling from Billings MT to Novato CA and back. We headed out west on the 90 just to get a running start, then down Hwy 191 through the Gallatin Canyon to West Yellowstone, famous for its wide streets, the better to push the snow around in the winter.

Hwy 20 out of West connects you with the 15 and either 84 or 86 in Idaho, probably a little of both, just to get to Twin Falls, which if you don't start from Billings at 6am is a reasonable place to stop for the night, particularly as they have some nice scenery and some good motels and restaurants. By the way, Twin Falls was the site of some famous bit of foolery with a Montana native, _____, but today we keep on going because we get here just a little after lunch. We turn south on Hwy 93 which is supposed to run into Hwy 50 in Ely Nevada, the official Loneliest Road in America, but it turns out that 93 is a pretty lonely road too.

On the interestates we go a steady 82-85 mph, and on the two lane highways we go 72-75 mph and sometimes a little faster as the roads are very good with very little traffic, mostly motorcycles and other travelers like us trying to get across Nevada in one piece.

The only problem we ran into with the above itinerary was that we hadn't counted on running out of motels soon after we passed the junction of 93 and the 80 in Nevada. So we had to drive to Ely to find a place for the night. That is a long day's drive.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb