Red Rock Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Boulder City
October 14th 2017
Published: October 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Blog 10-14-17 Red Rock Canyon

It was supposed to be a lazy morning with all of us sleeping in but somebody forgot to tell the rest of the world. It started with the dogs waking up before 7 wanting to go out. Then Watson wouldn't go back to bed and I was awake for the day. I went outside to make a phone call not to disturb Ginnie and Watson heard me talking so he started barking. I got him outside with me then Ginnie got a phone call, we were not to have a late sleep.

We moved around slowly, had coffee outside for the first time on our trip. It has been too cold in the morning or too hot or something but it never happened. There was a brisk breeze but it was still delightful.

After breakfast we took the dogs to a park someone at the campground had told me about and it only took a little time to find. What a treasure. It is a dog park with 3 sections, one for small dogs, one for big dogs and one for competition or shows. They call the park See Spot Run. The park we went into was as big as 2 football fields with desert landscaping all throughout, you could loose your dog inside the fence. We were the only ones there so we turned the dogs loose and they ran like crazy but only for a short time. Then they huddled around us as if saying, ok now what. Ginnie walked to the other side of the park with the dogs following her and I called Watson from the opposite side. He came running with a big grin then Ginnie called him back and he ran back to her. New Monkey in the Middle game??

When it was time to go home the kids were happy to get into the car, and they settled right down for the short ride home. We took a slight detour to see what old town Boulder City had to offer and the entire block was very interesting, we'll have to go back.

The dogs settled into their beds when we got home and we took advantage of the peace and took a road trip to Red Rock Canyon. It was a 45 min ride on the other side of Las Vegas and a world away. In a matter of 4 miles we left the hustle of the city and went into the natural old west.

Red Rock Canyon is a National Conservational Area and part of BLM land. (Bureau of Land Management) We got to the gate and I was ready to pay our $7.00 when Ginnie gave them her Golden Age Pass and the attendent said that's fine, you're good. Hooray, age has it's benefits.

There was a 14 mile one way drive through the area and the views were beautiful. There was a section of red rock formed thousands of years ago when an ocean occupied this area. It was sand dunes that became petrified and have so many layers and different shaped. Again pictures will tell the story.

The area is desert now and the vegetation is all cactus, Joshua trees and thorny bushes as well as desert creatures. There are snakes, tortuses, wild horses and burros and jack rabbits and coyotes .

We were not lucky enought to see any critters but the scenery was just outstanding and we loved it.

It was time to head back but before we did that we had to take a ride down the Vegas strip so Ginnie could see it. We rode the length of two streets and saw the big name hotels and casinos and millions of people walking all over. There was music playing and we saw a medium size fountain dancing to the music. There were the sounds of a city, horns blowing, people talking and loud speakers blaring. When it was time to leave we got to the nearest freeway and headed home.

It was time for the dog's dinner when we got home so we fed them and had happy hour outside til we got cold then came inside to have dinner. During happy hour Ginnie put another state on her map, Nevada. It's systematically getting filled.

The weather was beautiful today just a little windy. The high was about 75 and going into the high 50s tonight. There is a wind advisory for today and tomorrow so I hope we don't get blown off the dam. We're going to the Hoover dam in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb