East into the Heart of Montana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana
July 5th 2008
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We decided last night to forgo Canada, so we're heading east to Billings, MT and then down into NE Wyoming to Devils Tower. We'll see from there; we have ideas, but they may change.
We hate to leave Glacier NP. Scientists say by 2030 all the glaciers will be gone; that means our great-grandchildren will not get to see Glacier NP as we have.
Just east of East Glacier Park, it suddenly turns into plains. Wide open, rolling horse and cattle country. It's windy today and the wind causes the grassland colors to shift and vibrate, giving the impression that the land is breathing or has a heartbeat.
We had a tire on the camper blow out just east of Fairfield, "malted barley capitol." The lug wrench that goes to the van didn't fit the lug nuts on the camper (Murphy's Law.) Kerry had to get the lug nuts off using a pair of vice grips and a hammer. At least the weather was pleasant.
It was 20 miles to Great Falls, so we drove about 40 miles trying to find Walmart. Once we did, they didn't have the size tire we needed, but at least we got a lug wrench.
We stopped for the night about 20 miles SE of Great Falls at Belt, MT.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



6th July 2008

BUMMER! Flat tires are definitely not a pleasure during a vacation! Still you guys are sure seeing beautiful country. I am jealous!
8th July 2008

Devil\
Devil's Tower is a great place. Close Encounters of the Third Kind was filmed there and since I believe in UFO's it's plausible they can land there. It's out in the middle of absolutely no where, isn't it?? Sorry to hear about your tire though It was great talking to you guys, we miss you! Have fun!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb