The long drive home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana
November 13th 2006
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It was an early start from Denver. We were on the road at 7:15am with a thousand km’s of driving stretching ahead of us that day. And drive we did out of Colorado into Wyoming. Well I drove the whole 950km’s to Billings. It took us 11 hours to get there and over two tanks of gas. We were pushing the old corolla hard and trying to keep at 75mph (120 km/h) considering the route was a straight flat twin lane highway. Due to pushing the car hard with two bikes creating drag, we also encountered 100km/h winds as we drove back along the prairie flats. I’d never driven in anything this windy in my life. I could only maintain 100 km/h while gripping the wheel to keep the car from being buffeted off the road.
As we drove, bits of straw and tumbleweed were racing across the road in front of us and sometimes hitting us. I had huge truck’s with trailers passing me! The trailer was slithering sideways at times as the wind pushed hard against the side. The wind finally eased as we reached the other side of Wyoming and cruised into Montana.
We needed to find a bed for the night in Billings, so we visited around a few motels and inns until we found a well priced Inn.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb