31st May, 2009 Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana.


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

31st May, 2009 Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana.

On the move again today, said goodbye to Jackson (which we can recommend to any traveller), and headed up SH 26, through Alpine, across the border into Idaho and up through Rexburg, Ashton, across another border and into the State of Montana, arriving here at West Yellowstone around 2pm.
As it implies West Yellowstone is a small town on the Western edge of the Yellowstone Park, nice place. We are at the Grizzly RV park, which is just 4 blocks from the Yellowstone entrance, it has 191 sites, all with full hook ups, well set out. Only one problem and I would say it either belongs to the town or the area - they have mosquitoes, so it was out with the insect spray (that fixed them).
Went for a walk down to the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center, they have a great display (heaps of info and well set out) of the Black bear, Grizzly bear and the Wolf, also the real thing is on display. Grizzlies can grow up to 500 lb so they are pretty big, most of the 8 bears here have been taken from the wild due to mum being run over or because they have become a nuisance bear. Nuisance bears are usually a result of us humans again - we feed them by not disposing of rubbish or leaving food around so the bears come looking for it, then it becomes a habit and they start upsetting us, and they have to be relocated, some return again and again and rather than putting them down they end up in a refuge like the one we saw today. Well worth a visit and you get a two day pass so you can return.
Then onto the Imax theatre and we watched a film on Yellowstone Park - great and we look forward to visiting the Park and seeing it first hand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

31st May, 2009. Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana 01531st May, 2009. Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana 015
31st May, 2009. Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana 015

Look at the claws - they grow up to 4 inches long
31st May, 2009. Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana 02331st May, 2009. Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana 023
31st May, 2009. Travel to West Yellowstone, Montana 023

One Grizzly sitting in a hole having a nose


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb