Montana and more Montana!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Kalispell
July 15th 2011
Published: July 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bowman LakeBowman LakeBowman Lake

This was the lake at the Trailhead for our hike.
After backpacking 6 miles into the desolate northwest corner of Glacier NP we found ourselves at Akokala Lake. It was beautiful and all was right with the world. Except for the mosquitos, i could have done without them. We woke at 5am and decided to come on down the mountain. A wonderful early morning hike, with no bears.

From there we took the Going-to-the-Sun-Road thru Glacier and wow. Waterfalls, lakes, rivers, mountains, snow!!

Glacier's Going-to-the-Sun road is truly something amazing, one of the places in this world where beauty can trump itself. We took pictures at the beginning, seeing towering rocky moutains painted with snow and waterfalls only to find these views getting grander and more astonishing to the point where you can't take enough pictures. Every turn and direction is awe inspiring and unbelievable, then you start back down the pass and you're practically worn out from the gorgeous surrounds, exhausted by the extraordinary views. Pretty sweet.

A woman asked me(Jamey) at a stop along the road: "I guess you're used to this in Colorado", to which I could only respond ""No, it's not this good." For all the enticement and beauty Colorado holds Glacier NP has
Akokola LakeAkokola LakeAkokola Lake

The view from our tent site after a 6 mile hilke. Totally worth it!
a serious edge on amazing, but it's not really fair to compare.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Tent siteTent site
Tent site

Jamey reading the topo to see what mountains surround us.
Bear GrassBear Grass
Bear Grass

so pretty! these were everywhere, just like the mosquito that decided to land right before i took the pic.
safety.safety.
safety.

inside the tent to hide from the mosquitos. still a beautiful view!
Going to the Sun RoadGoing to the Sun Road
Going to the Sun Road

yes, the pictures don't quite do it justice.
Going to the Sun RoadGoing to the Sun Road
Going to the Sun Road

the big patch of snow is a glacier. they are melting quicker now and could possibly be gone in the next 20 years. sad.
Goat!Goat!
Goat!

Mountain goats hanging out.
From the plainsFrom the plains
From the plains

The mountains in the distance. Western Montana is wonderful!


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb