Yellowstone Part 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Helena
August 26th 2015
Published: August 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yellowstone Part 2



The rest of our stay in Yellowstone was filled with a bit of everything really, it’s an amazing place. The wildlife is awesome! When driving around, you inevitably see a few bison lounging on the plains or, in one case, a big old guy was just plodding along in front of a massive queue of traffic, seemingly oblivious. Every morning we heard a pack of coyotes howling and last night, when we were eating our Dog Food Chili for dinner (it’s from a can and smells like dog food), an elk wandered over and hung out with us for a while!



Anyway, the biggest endeavour of our time there was a hike into The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. We were lulled into a false sense of security as the trail started out nice and flat with incredible views into the canyon but soon realised we were done for as we scrabbled downhill at an alarming rate… After getting lost in a thermal zone with hot springs bubbling around us, we eventually reached the brilliantly blue Yellowstone River. Thankfully, the stunning view while we ate our picnic definitely made it worthwhile. The way back up had its moments, but we won’t bore you with the details!



Our next trip was to Mammoth Hot Springs, where we saw some completely different scenery again – it’s famous for its travertine terraces which are like steps in the hills, they look pretty cool. The highlight of the day was a soak in Boiling River which gave me the chance to have the luxurious bath that I’d been missing! It was bliss. Tom had his latest culinary triumph that night as he cooked up some of the most delicious steaks I’ve ever experienced - on a camping stove - impressive! Other exploring included a walk to Fairy Falls and Imperial Geyser – the geyser was really impressive, it was permanently bubbling in the middle of a pool of amazing blues and oranges.



Randomly, yesterday was Yellowstone Christmas – apparently it’s an annual 25th August thing so everywhere was decorated and all the staff were wearing hats and singing carols! All in all, we loved exploring everything that Yellowstone has to offer – it was insanely cold at night though! Having travelled through some pretty remote parts of Montana today, we are happy to have arrived at our scummy motel for tonight en route to the next destination, Glacier National Park 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb