Day 3


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day3 Rozet WY- Great Falls MT

Animal sightings:
1000's cattle
100's of horses
100's prairie dogs
Prong horned antelope
A flock of wild turkeys

We left Rozet, WY and drove to Gillette. Stopped for breakfast at Mona's Cafe. We were surprised when the hostess/waitress asked if we wanted to be seated in the smoking or nonsmoking section! Even though smoke wafted into the nonsmoking section, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast.
On to the local Walmart for yet more supplies and food.
Next stop, in Montana, Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. Free admission with our Senior Pass to National Parks - what a deal! Each park is celebrating the 100th year of National Parks. If you watch the Today Show, this is old news...
We watched a video that certainly sobered the viewers. A field trip walked in and Dave had to restrain me from joining the group of students... The headstones go on forever. They mark fallen veterans and family members from this battle, but also from other wars. There are grave markers that indicate where the casualties actually were. The vastness and openness of the beautiful fields is quite impressive. We saw where Custer fell, however he is buried at West Point.
We ate a fabulous lunch, including Indian fry bread with honey, at the Custer Battlefield Trading Post. As we were plotting our route to Great Falls, a friendly local lady came up and suggested the best roads to take. Turns out she is a 62 year old grandmother times 22, but the most unusual detail is... Wait for it... She is a barrel racer!
Did you know that Montana ranks 4th in the US for land area (145,552 sq mi), but 44th for population (974,989)? Just checking. There may be a quiz later.
An aside... Tom routed us through "Moore" Montana, BUT not through "Babb" Montana. Coincidence??? I think not.
On the way we saw snow covered mountains and snow in the ditches... We considered a snowball fight, but alas we must keep "the pedal to the metal".
We coasted in to Great Falls at 8pm having driven 514 miles. Checked in to Dave's RV Park by Owen. Did I mention he has family members and a former girlfriend from Loves Park! Small world.
Quick dinner and a short walk before closing our eyes.
Another terrific day! 514 miles





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb