Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hardin to Great Falls
Departing relatively early we refueled and continued our trek north. Today the temp went from a cool overnight to an afternoon in the 90's. The pathway through the grazing lands, past the rock formations poking out of the turf, was wonderfully scenic. On several crests we saw wind farms windmills in their parked modality. In the distance were snow-crested mountains, the creators of the swollen rivers we continued to see. The fields also seemed soggy from recent rains. The open spaces were covered with what I'd call “chokeweed” except for areas obviously cleared for grazing cattle, sheep and horses. Rail transportation is also a very popular way to move product although we couldn't understand why several trains are parked side by side on the main line (union work rules?).
Arriving at Malmstom AFB's RV Family Campground we check in and select a cement padded spot with full hookups and an extensive view of Big Sky Country. This evening we watch the thunderstorms approach and batter our rig with gusts reaching 30 mph. A couple of times we pull in the slide outs to minimize potential wind damage to the overhead slide-out awnings. After the storms go through the sun breaks out and a wonderful expanse of small clouds and Big Sky is visible for miles, lit by sunlight which doesn't set until after 9 PM. We also enjoy a steak joint lunch with military discount and shopping at the BX and Commissary. A wonderful land to visit.
We've now decided to extend our stay here until next week before venturing north into the land of our continental neighbors. We're entertained by a quality pops concert by the Great Falls Symphony combined excellent music with projected movies as they spent “A Night At The Movies”. The locals are gracious and informative. The next day I get a reservation on a white water rafting trip for Friday and partake of the local Walmart for items of need. It should be fun as the high water has shifted our destination to another location. They do provide life preservers and warn of swimming in the 40 degree water. Hoorah!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb