Moving to Yellowstone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Gardiner
September 1st 2017
Published: September 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


blog 09-01-17 Moving to Yellowstone

Friday morning we were all packed up and ready to travel by 10 am, we're getting good at this. North on 191 we entered Yellowstone and proceeded north to West Thumb. There was construction in this section so we sat and waited for the southbound traffic to be escorted past us then it was our turn for the pilot truck to escort us north. At West Thumb we traveled east along the shore of Yellowstone Lake so we got a good view of it and enjoyed the scenery. At Canyon we headed west to Norris then north to Mammoth where again there was construction on the road that took it back to it's basics. We had 3 inches on each side of the motor home to travel through this section and to say it was hair raising is being mild. Ginnie was driving, thank God, and He was our copilot and somehow we made it through without knocking down one post.

By the time we got to the campground in Gardner, MT about 12:30 Ginnie was wasted and I did my best to set up so she could just sit. We have a beautiful campsite right along the Yellowstone River and it is delightful sitting there and watching the water go by. We set up the dog pen which gives them a pretty good run and got our chairs out and enjoyed the view.

Later in the afternoon we went to Mammoth to get our Nat'l Park Books stamped and almost got run over by 3 elk that found themselves amoung too many people. A little fun for a minute or two. Pictures

We also saw big horn sheep way up on a ridge that were spooked by something then regrouped. A beautiful full bodied male that was on his way to a respectable set of horns having gathered four females to his herom.

Had happy hour outside along the river and watched rafters on their way downstream. I immediately thought about Shannon and Jeremy and the fun they would have playing here in this fabulous playground.

The temp today got up to 88 but it cooled down at night to make sleeping delightful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th September 2017

Yellowstone
Here's a saying for you...If God is your copilot, change seats!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb