Bannack State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Dillon
July 5th 2010
Published: July 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bannack 1Bannack 1Bannack 1

This is an old bar that was in one of the buildings. Look at what good shape it is in.
We left N Bar S Ranch this morning to make our way to Polson, Mt. We ate at a little place in Dell, MT (which has a population of 35) called the Calf A (nice play on words huh?). It is an old one room schoolhouse and everyone just shares tables if there aren't enough seats to have your own. They have really good home cooked food. Hmmm..... maybe this is a place for Diners, Drive ins, and Dives???? Anyway, we got to Dillon, MT around 3:30 so we still had plenty of daylight left and we decided to go to Bannack State Park which was just 10 minutes up the road. We are sure glad that we did. It served as the first Territorial Legislature and is the most well preserved ghost town in today's history. You will see by the pictures that I took that this is very true. The population was around 400 but gold was discovered in 1862 and the population swelled to 3000. The little town was named after the Bannack Indians. Just standing at each end of the street you can almost see and hear the hustle and bustle of yesteryear.

We left the
Bannack 2Bannack 2Bannack 2

Here is a look down the main street.
next morning and got to Polson, Mt. to meet up with Jim & Reta for a week of fun and catching up. More of that later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bannack 3Bannack 3
Bannack 3

Some old equipment laying in the field.
Hotel MeadeHotel Meade
Hotel Meade

This hotel was purchased by Dr. John Singleton Meade in 1890 for $1250 who then remodeled and turned it into a plush hotel. It was the center of social activity of the town. It operated off and on until te 1940's.
Bannack ChurchBannack Church
Bannack Church

Methodist Church built in 1877.
Bannack Meade HotelBannack Meade Hotel
Bannack Meade Hotel

Inside staircase of the Meade Hotel


17th July 2010

Don,s new fishing hole
Don is this a new way to fish ,any big ones in the tank.
17th July 2010

Don,s new fishing hole
Don is this a new way to fish ,any big ones in the tank.

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb