How cold is cold??


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Big Sky
December 4th 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, where to start since our last blog in Boston?? We headed to Los Angeles and spent a couple of nights in Venice Beach where the weather was so warm we were able to get our summer clothes out again and enjoy the last of the sunshine before we headed across the country to visit a friend in (not so) sunny Montana. Getting to Montana was an adventure in itself... first we headed to Las Vegas to pick up our rental car. We only spent one night in Vegas so we have not yet experienced the Vegas night life - that is coming up when we return the rental car on 9th December. Once we had the car we headed off from Vegas, not really sure where we were going but pretty sure that we were at least heading in the right direction. The first stop on our way was at the Grand Canyon. We spent a night there and spent the next day viewing the Canyon, which was absolutely amazing....one of the most incredible sights any of us have ever seen. It was so interesting to read about how the canyon was formed...all from one little river, amazing! From there we headed to Zion National Park in Utah and Bryce Canyon National Park, also in Utah where we spent a couple of nights enjoying the scenery and doing a hike - yes, we still haven't had enough of hiking even after our epic Peru adventure! From there we headed on up to Montana to visit a friend that we met on our Amazon adventure.

And here is where the inspiration for the title of this blog comes from. So you might ask...'How cold is cold'? How about minus 17 degrees Farhenheit - yep, Farhenheit, which in Aussie language equates to minus 27.2 degrees Celsius...pretty cold huh??? That was the outside temperature when we woke up this morning. Needless to say you don't go out much when it is that cold. You either stay indoors or go for a long drive in a heated car which is what we did today. Despite the ridiculously cold weather we have had a blast since we have been here. We have been skiing at the Mountain Ski Resort here which was awesome, and very amusing for all the other skiers on the slopes that day. I am sure the three Aussie chicks provided the days entertainment for all the pro skiers. In our defence though, the green runs here are NOT the same as the green runs in Aus. They are more like blue runs, so for three girls who had not skied for at least eight to ten years, it took a while for us to get our courage back up. At least we provided the locals with some entertainment for the day!

We have also done other awesome stuff like visit Yellowstone National Park (the first National Park ever established in March 1872). Yellowstone was stunning - an absolute winter wonderland. We went on a wolf hunt and even though we didn't see any close up we did manage to catch a glimpse through the telescope of one of the local wolf enthusiasts - very cool! We also experienced our first ever Thanksgiving (Happy Turkey Day :-)),which was also very cool. We spent the day eating ourselves silly at a friend of our friend's house. We have met some absolutely amazing people who have shown us amazing Montana hospitality...we have been very spoilt.

So we are on our last couple of days in Montana. We will head to Vegas on Saturday and take a couple of days to get there. We will update the blog once we are in Vegas but expect it to be rather short, because remember - what goes in Vegas stays in Vegas ;-)

Until then, have a nice day y'all!! :-)

Jac, Kath and Kate
xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb