Agony and Ecstasy! 62 miles, 3100’


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri
June 15th 2018
Published: June 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Fort Davidson MemorialFort Davidson MemorialFort Davidson Memorial

This is where Ulyssis S Grant had his first Command as a General. Fort Davidson was here to defend the Railroad that carried Iron Ore from this area to St Louis. There was a major Civil War battle here when the Confederate Army tried to cut off the railroad and lost.
Guest Blog by Bruce

We were on the road early today, spinning our pedals towards Ellington, Missouri. Today we rode through the heart of the Ozarks.

The weather was forecast to approach record high temps with high humidity in play.

We decided to leave early at 7am to try and beat the heat!

Our first stop was near Ironton, Mo to view the Ft Davidson  civil war memorial.

This was Ulysses Grant’s initial battle as a General, and the Union Army Crushed the Confederates here.

Soon we were off to Johnston’s Shut-In State Park & it’s famous swim area. It was steamy hot and we were at the 1/2 way point, so we took the plunge!

Complete ecstasy!

However, that lolly gagging lasted a bit too long as the final 25 miles of serious climbs and extremely hot weather combined made for real agony on the second half of the ride.  

The good news is that the extra miles today shortened tomorrow’s ride to Eminence considerably.

Across from our lodging we ate at a great Mexican Restaurant with Ice Cold Cervesa at hand. Ahhh!

We followed dinner with a hot fudge Sunday at the Ice Cream Parlor next door.

We will have a short but hilly ride tomorrow into the touristy town of Eminence followed by a day off.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

On our way to jump in the Creek.On our way to jump in the Creek.
On our way to jump in the Creek.

Johnson Shut In Start Park. The East Fork of the Black River flows through here and it is perfectly clear.
One of the many beautiful looks at the OzarksOne of the many beautiful looks at the Ozarks
One of the many beautiful looks at the Ozarks

Looking over a roadside lake in the wild countryside
Rumble Strips forced us onto the roadway.Rumble Strips forced us onto the roadway.
Rumble Strips forced us onto the roadway.

We would have preferred to ride closer to the edge of the road but there was a rumble strip that forced us to stay to the left and in the road. Everyone was polite except one trucker who leaned on his horn,


16th June 2018

The Dip
Must have made your day! 1/2 way done with the ride now?
17th June 2018

Hi
No, about 1/3 done. A long way to go!
17th June 2018

Think your FB page got hacked
Hi, I just rec'd a weird message from you (supposedly) on FaceBook. Says someone gave you $150,000 for something or the other ..... I'm going to delete the message, just thought you should know.
17th June 2018

Thanks
Thanks Barbara. Yes it got hacked and I am locked out. I’m trying to fix it. Bob

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb