Downtown Chicago to St Louis.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » St Louis
June 20th 2015
Published: June 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to make the most of Chicago before heading off on the first leg of the journey. After checking out we drove 30 mins into downtown Chicago and found a parking place for 10 dollars for the day thanks to an app called "Parkopedia" (fully recommend!).

We took a walk up through Grants park where we passed some good sights including odd Iron leg structures and the beautiful Buckingham fountain. We did a cheeky "selfie" by the fountain which spurred a nice American couple from Ohio to take one of us both which Mandie has. We also caught a couple of good shots of an old dude making HUGE bubbles!

This led on up to Millennium Park where they were holding a massive outside group workout by the pavilion which was next to the Cloud Gate structure which was also excellent for bizarre mirrored photos.

After lunch we walked a bit further up through the centre to the Chicago Theatre and went on a fascinating hour long tour around the different parts of the building. This took us along all the different parts of the seating, backstage and involved lots of cool facts about how its been run for 93 years. For instance they have the capability to pump the smell of popcorn into the air conditioning to entice people to buy more!

We did want to go up to the Sky Deck at Willis Tower, another place featured on Ferris Bueller's Day out, but there was a 2 hour waiting time and we were pretty burnt out so we decided to hit the road.

Because we had a good 300 miles to cover and time was getting on we decided to take the I55 interstate for most of it cutting out a few parts of the old road. We did however take a slight detour at Atlanta to visit the "Muffler Man" giant statue before heading down to St Louis for the night which is in there with all the other photos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb