Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Independence
August 9th 2010
Published: August 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our next presidential library visit was to the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum. Probably my favorite president on my sabbatical tour, I was very interested in how this library would handle this particular president and his tremendous role in our country's history.


The buck stops here.
Harry S. Truman was a dirt farmer, the ordinary american democrat (would american believe that someone ordinary could lead them?) His leadership exemplifies the democratic idea of leadership - a man from the heartland, an ordinary guy, of common sense and decency.

Despite universal knowledge of Roosevelt's deteriorating health, Truman had only been Vice President for 82 days and had no transition or preparation for stepping into the presidency. He was quoted saying "I am not big enough for this job". He barely knew any of the cabinet and most drifted away from support of the new president. He knew nothing about the impending atomic bomb.

He was a simple, straightforward man from Missouri. With a high school diploma and years as a farmer, he was an unlikely candidate for the highest office of the land. As a WWI war hero, he was identified by Tom Pendergast as a perfect candidate for public office. As battery commander of Battery D, Captain Truman didn't lose a singe man.

Man of the people
Starting as a County Commissioner and then the Senate, Truman was a quiet legislator and didn't make his name until he began investigating graft and waste in government contracts during WWII. "after a diet of caviar (Roosevelt), sometimes you just want ham and eggs."

Fate of Eastern Europe hung in the balance
When he first took office, the delicate alliance with the Soviets was beginning to fray.

Potsdam - Truman had to step onto the international stage with two of legends of the 20th century - Stalin and Churchill. Suffering from stage fright, Truman recalled the close relationship between Churchill and Roosevelt. Nothing was accomplished and it was the end of the Russian and US friendship.

"I'm here to make decisions, whether right or wrong".
Just 13 days in office, he was told of Los Alamos and the secret development of atomic weaponry. Use the weapon without warning. Truman didn't know that some of the scientists were advocating for a demonstration bomb rather than the real ones to see if the threat would end the war. The petitions never reached the president, but it was also unlikely that they could have changed his mind. He never expressed doubts about using the bomb.

Dropping bomb would prevent having to deploy troops to the Eastern theater. The bomb was justified; having a place in overcoming evil. Truman never brooded over the decision to drop the bomb. "Once the decision was made, I didn't worry about it afterward." Truman couldn't allow self questioning or reflection. He could never take in fully what he had done or what it meant for the world. "I did what I thought was right".

I felt that the library collection and exhibits really covered the atomic bomb in a very superficial way. While there were interactive exhibits about the bomb, the library didn't explore Truman's state of mind nor his decision making process. That was disappointing.

Truman was blamed for labor disorder immediately after the war, proposed increase in the minimum wage, aid for housing, first prepaid medical insurance in US history - all defeated. Railroad Strike - threaten to draft the railroad workers into the Army. Paid a high price. His gut response cost him the support of the labor unions.

Consistently felt a sense of inadequacy.

Mid-term 1946 election was a disaster. Truman was blamed for everything. Inflation, price increases.

Soviet relations in 1946: tired of babying the Soviets. "I do not think we should play compromise any longer. Unless Russia is faced with an iron fist, another war is in the making". Turning point in Greece and Turkey. Stalin seen as an expansionist dictator. Truman would need to convince congress that civil war would ultimately threaten the US and that post-war aid would halt the stem the tide of communisms

Top brain men = Dean Acheson, George Marshall

Scared hell out of the american people in the immediate post-war era by defining Europe in terms that americans could understand: the world is divided in two, totalitarian and the free people. $400 million in international aid = Truman Doctrine. Military and political commitment. Open ended faith in policy to protect free people and bring freedom to places all over the world. Absolute view of the conflict with the Soviets. Resist communism abroad.

Western Europe was on the verge of collapse. Deal with it economically. $13 billion = Marshall Plan. Rebuild the free peoples of the world. Appeal - money spent in the united states, huge infusion into the american economy with compassionate ties to rebuilding post war europe.

Communism at home, the president issued an executive order making political beliefs of federal employees subject to investigation by the FBI. Attempting to generate support for the cold war, ignited witch hunt at home. Total crusade. Created the department of defense, the CIA and the national security council. NATO - first peacetime alliance against the rise of communism. Changed the way Americans looked at the world and at themselves.

Remained himself and never created a public relations image. He was what he was - was earthy, heartland of America. He was a farmer from missouri trying to do his best. Looked down on himself as a person but revered the presidential office.

Race in America: the first president to address the NAACP. special message to congress calling for anti-lynching laws, abolition of pool class, commission on civil rights, desegregation of the armed forces.

Palestine: Jews lobbied Truman to recognize Israel. Marshall worried about Arabs cutting off oil. De-facto recognition to Israel (did what I thought was right). Probably influenced greatly by his friendship with Eddie Jacobson, his business partner in the haberdashery.

"Give em hell Harry" / Whistle Stop Tour
He understood people. Appealed to the common man. Stand with the people. Protect the legacy of FDR.

Soviets explode an atomic devise; China fell to communism. McCarthy on the rise.

1950 - No. Koreans invade So. Korea supported by tanks and artillery; launched a surprise attack. 38th parallel. Appealed to the UN for help; authorized an army to wage war. American soldiers would bear the burden. Move into the era of the modern defense budget. McArthur struck without warning and turned the war around. Truman approved the crossing the 38th to destruct the No. Korean army. Fearing that China would enter the Korean War, Truman went to see McArthur. Wage limited war and the pressure on Truman grew. Strain was beginning to show.

At the end of his administration, his approval ratings were lower than those the day Nixon resigned.

Died when he was 88 years old.

"When Roosevelt died, I felt there must be a million men better qualified to take up the presidential task, but the work was mine to do and i had to do it and i tried to give it everything that was in me."


Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb