Vicksburg Day 2


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Old court house and museumOld court house and museumOld court house and museum

The Vicksburg courthouse was new during the battle and survived it relatively unscathed.
May 13 Friday
I've been enjoying unfettered access to the Internet all this morning and tallying up my trip cost so far. Well within my budget. Guess I learned a few things on my last trip.
Hopefully a cool front coming through will cool things down a bit.
Today I went to the Old Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg. It was built before the siege and survived the battle intact. It had an interesting "stair chair" which I was tempted to ride but didn't want to appear foolish. : > )
Vicksburg is kind of an interesting town and not too big or too much traffic. Am finding my way around pretty good and even went to a casino today to eat at their buffet. It was a seafood buffet and since it was all inclusive I pigged out. I toyed with the idea of going into the casino but just couldn't bring myself to do it. The casino was the least crowded of any one I have ever been in. I guess because of media reports of flooding.
The Mississippi River was only about 3 feet below the casino. I figure when the surge gets here from upriver it will
Stairs and "stair chair"Stairs and "stair chair"Stairs and "stair chair"

No elevator but a "stair Chair".
certainly be flooded.
Went by SuperWalmart on Hwy 61 just south of I-20 looking for a mosquito net and getting some groceries. No luck on finding a mosquito net.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

This park will be flooded soonThis park will be flooded soon
This park will be flooded soon

This park as well as the adjacent casino will be flooded soon.
The riverThe river
The river

The water is only about 3 feet below the parking lot of this casino
endangered casinoendangered casino
endangered casino

This casino is only about 3 feet above the river and will almost certainly flood next week when the river peaks.


Tot: 0.542s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.2518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb