Mississippi family gathering


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Raleigh
September 25th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

5 of the Sullivan siblings got together yesterday but this morning Robert arrived at Gwen & Larry's house, so all 6 managed to be in the same room at the same time. Many photos were taken to mark this significant (if somewhat formidable!) gathering, and there was a great deal of laughter to be heard.

All except Darlene headed up to Raleigh, Mississippi (a 3-hour drive) in separate cars for an equally amazing gathering of descendants of the previous generation of the Sullivan clan, i.e. Pat's father and his 6 siblings. The event was hosted by Eileen, a local cousin of Pat's. A total of 58 people attended, including 16 out of the 22 living first cousins - an amazing turnout.

We stayed overnight at cousin Susan & Bruce's house 9 miles from Raleigh, where they manage over 120 acres of beautiful rolling fields and woods. Pat spent most of her summers in Mississippi when she was growing up. Pat, Katrina & Jackson had spent 3 days here a few weeks ago while Mike was still in the UK.

Pat spent hours catching up with Susan, while the rest of us enjoyed the farm and the animals. Bruce & Jackson went for a spin on the 4-wheelers (quad bikes) and went for several miles on tracks through the woods. Susan introduced us to the foul taste of green persimmon fruit, "after which anything tastes good!"

We could have stayed much longer to share the good life enjoyed by Susan & Bruce but we had to say goodbye, as we set off north-east across Alabama, heading for Atlanta, Georgia...



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb