From the Great Smokey Mountains to Mississippi


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Picayune
January 9th 2010
Published: January 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: It's aa haaf yeaas draave man 23 secs

1 additional video(s) currently being processed
Yesterdays dinnerYesterdays dinnerYesterdays dinner

Taco at taco bells
Looking at the map it was astonishing how far we had gotten. In one day we had made our way from Washington to The Great Smokey Mountains. We drove through New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee so far. It was a beautiful drive! At 10 pm we drove off the Interstate and found a cozy, cheap motel, Super8. The receptionist, a young spotty guy, was completely drunk. Maybe that's why the room was cheap. Internet at last! We uploaded as much as we could and wrote an email or two, then it was off to bed.

It hadn't snowed! And we had blue skies and sunshine again, haha! Fresh waffles with sirup. At breakfast we were obviously the European weirdos! We forgot to pray...OMG 😊 I guess we'll be getting more of that the further south we go. You find Baptist churches all over the place here. After filling up gas for 10 $, which filled up half our tank, we were off again. And then we got lost. This way we at least got to see more of the mountains. Slowly we made our way through the curvy, icy and beautiful morning mountain landscape. I wouldn't recommend taking a long motorbike tour through the US, the streets are almost all terrible. But the speed here is slow and easy.

Chattanooga in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama. I saw a huge eagle today, Alabama is beautiful! We are still quite high, surrounded by soft green mountains. There are many evergreens here, with the sun and blue sky it almost seems like Summer. At the road side I can already get a glimpse at little swamps, although these are frozen of course. We are just driving through these wonderful landscapes, listening to music, watching the road sides. It's very peaceful and we would both like to come back sometime, when it is warmer, to go hiking and camping.

In Mississippi we met even more nice people. Every stranger asks how you are, where you're coming from and going to. Almost everyone takes the time for a friendly chat. They kept on telling us how bad the weather is at the moment. If this is bad weather for January then we don't want to leave! In the sun you can walk around without a jacket. In the car it's red hot, heated by the sunshine. As we had reached New Orleans too early, we took a motel room just outside the city for 40 $. We ordered pizza and watched stupid TV shows.

Tomorrow we're in New Orleans! We are really looking forward to it. Everyone is preparing for Mardi Gras and when we're tired of it, we'll carry on to the bays and islands off the coast and the rest of south Louisiana until it's time to move on to Texas. Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

just kidding it's an older photo :)
Healthy snackHealthy snack
Healthy snack

They have a caramell dip for the apples!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb