THE BLUES HIGHWAY: Desegregation from Clarksdale to Natchez


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

THE BLUES HIGHWAY: Desegregation from Clarksdale to Natchez. Cotton...gotta love it or hate it. If I was black and working the plantations in Clarksdale...slave or sharecropper...cutting my hands on the pods...reckon I'd hate it. If I was a plantation owner...had one of those stupendous mansions in Natchez...once the home of more millionaires than any other city in the World...reckon I'd love i... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tom & GaryTom & Gary
Tom & Gary

Shack Up Inn



7th July 2015

Along the Mighty Mississippi
My mother grew up in the south and once I tried picking cotton. It is very hard work. But now you are in the heart of the blues. I can feel the excitement. I can feel the beat. Highway 61 was made for the dancing ones. The blues, the blues and more blues....it is a good life.
8th July 2015

Along the Mighty Mississippi
Just wish we had more time. But something bluesier awaits!
7th July 2015
Shack Up Inn

America
Looks like a Norman Rockwell painting.
8th July 2015
Shack Up Inn

America
I'd better check Norman Rockwell's works. Clarksdale was like a painting I've gotta admit...real get down & embrace country.
8th July 2015

Beautiful blog on a tough subject
Another excellent blog on a haunting part of the country. Loved the travel style writeup; it matches my own. Sad as it is to say, school discrimination isn't just limited to Mississippi. It persisted for years after the Brown decision in most Southern states. If you ever make it to Charlotte North Carolina, the incredibly well done Museum of the New South has the whole shameful story (including the sociology research that actually won the Brown case).
8th July 2015

Beautiful blog on a tough subject
Thanks Ezra. There was also a lot of info at the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis in relation to the school segregation issue as well but as Clarksdale had its own unique issues I had to comment. I wanted to touch on other shocking racial history issues in Clarksdale as well but kept clear as I did not want to distract from the issues I did write about.
10th July 2015

Segregation... it's everywhere... unfortunately
I saw a lot of signs of segregation during my visit to France now and here in Sweden there is also a lot of segregation. IT might now be governed by law but it's no less potent in disrupting society. I wish segregation would end and we'd all be able to live well together without issue. Keep dancing along your enlightened path my friend and spread that light around you, it's glow will keep us all warm. =)
10th July 2015

Segregation... it's everywhere... unfortunately
Segregation...a polite word for one of the aspects of Racism. Not the "smiley on the beach partying travel" topic Per-Olof but one I feel must be broached as it is so pervasive and affects the smiles of the populous exposed to it, which to my mind is too many. We know it exists in society but that it still exists in schools even if only psychologically shocks me. I appreciate your comments. Sometimes light in dark corners can bring change so any little bit is to mind worthwhile.
11th July 2015

Salient points
A wonderful account David - one of the best you have written to date. The best we can do is to take on board the salient points & use them to filter & direct our own walk through life in our own resident country. I very much enjoyed this part of the long trip. It was a time of reflection, observation & enjoyment of the music that we so love.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb