Biloxi...round 2!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Biloxi
August 15th 2007
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Foggy Morning SunriseFoggy Morning SunriseFoggy Morning Sunrise

This was taken with my camera phone so sorry about the quality :)
Well since I showed you the pictures of Biloxi in one of her worst moments, I though it only fair that I show her thriving also! These pictures are from my trip back to Biloxi in August 2007. I was only there for 2 weeks this time, but that was enough time to enjoy the city. The change was astonishing! Some things were still being repaired, but this time there was at least something to do! The first time I went everything was closed except the mall...the only thing to do was to volunteer in the clean up efforts. This time though a lot of the casino's were opened back up, the beaches were open, the piers were rebuilt, the bridges rebuilt, the grass and trees were regrown, and it was beautiful again! The Hard Rock Casino was just built before Katrina hit. Their grand opening was actually supposed to be the weekend after Katrina, but they were a total loss. They rebuilt and were open when I went again. They salvaged some of the collection that was ruined in Katrina, and thay have the mangled pieces on display throughout the new casino, along with little descriptions of where the item was found after Katrina. It's was very interesting...and sobering. The Beau Rivage is open and absolutely glorious! It stands where the Grand Hotel and Casino used to be....right where the freeeway comes into Biloxi. They have an awesome buffet if you ever get the chance to go. That was the first time I tried crab legs and crawdads...and no I did not suck the head! I drove the newly rebuilt bridge to Ocean Springs, and walked along the groomed beaches of Biloxi. There are still some remnants of Katrina, but not in the way you would think. A local artist took trees that were killed by Katrina and carved them into amazing sculptures that are now on display along Beach Blvd. Biloxi was shaken to her core after Katrina hit, but the city has a lot of heart and no amount of wind or rain is going to keep her down!

On a side note - I'm finally do my digial era...no more grainy photos! Yay!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Wise old treeWise old tree
Wise old tree

Keesler AFB, Biloxi
Pier on the Black BayPier on the Black Bay
Pier on the Black Bay

on Keesler AFB, Biloxi
Pier on Black BayPier on Black Bay
Pier on Black Bay

on Keesler AFB, Biloxi
The fish are juming!The fish are juming!
The fish are juming!

from the pier on base
Gull posing for a pictureGull posing for a picture
Gull posing for a picture

on Biloxi's beach
The Biloxi LighthouseThe Biloxi Lighthouse
The Biloxi Lighthouse

This survived Katrina with just some peeling paint
Saiboat in the GulfSaiboat in the Gulf
Saiboat in the Gulf

Just off the beach in Biloxi
Biloxi beachBiloxi beach
Biloxi beach

Groomed and good as new
Beach toysBeach toys
Beach toys

Biloxi Beach
Katrina's artworkKatrina's artwork
Katrina's artwork

Near the Lighthouse in Biloxi
Katrina's artworkKatrina's artwork
Katrina's artwork

Near the Lighthouse in Biloxi
Hurricane Camille MemorialHurricane Camille Memorial
Hurricane Camille Memorial

The Flagpole was bent from hurricane Katrina
Hurricane Camille MemorialHurricane Camille Memorial
Hurricane Camille Memorial

This was made from piecies of ceramic and glass that was destroyed during Camille


2nd July 2009

art
wow some of that artwork is fantastic. a great way to make something beautiful out of something ugly.
9th July 2009

Beautiful
It's nice to see these pics and what it's like now. Katrina was a horrible thing that happened but life goes on, as it shows in these pics.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb