Hello Biloxi!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Biloxi
August 1st 2006
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In August of 2006, I changed career fields and had to go to Biloxi Mississippi for my Tech School. We were stationed in Utah at the time. It was a 4 week school, so I decided to drive. I crossed 7 states each way, and a lot of them were new to me, so I was pretty excited. It had only been a year since Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast. I don't know what I was expecting...I guess I figured that after a year, most of the clean up would be done. I was dead wrong! It looked like Katrina had just happened the week before. If the destruction was still that bad a year later, I can't imagine what it was like the day after. New Orleans got a lot of attention and damage because of the levees being breached, but the Biloxi/Gulfport area suffered the bulk of the wind damage. Highway 90, which runs along the coast from New Orleans to Mobile, was a mess. The bridge that connects Biloxi to Oceanside was washed away, and there was sand everywhere. I've since been back to Biloxi...in August again, but this time in 2007...and it's a world of difference! Casino's are open again, the water and beaches are cleaned up and usable, the highway is repared and the bridges are built back, and most of the debris has been cleared. It's taken a long time go get back on their feet, but they are standing now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pier on the Black BayPier on the Black Bay
Pier on the Black Bay

Keesler AFB, Biloxi
Manor house on the coastManor house on the coast
Manor house on the coast

Most of the houses along the coast were these big manor houses. They were in various stages of disrepair...some were almost completely restored.
Tretorous waterTretorous water
Tretorous water

They were still fishing out cars and debris when I was there. You weren't allowed to go into the water.


27th June 2009

I was supposed to be at the Beau Rivage the weekend Katrina hit, the convention that I was supposed to go to was canceled...just in case. I was in New Orleans a month before Katrina, and I haven't been back since, it was one of my favorite cities.
27th June 2009

Wow
It's so sad with what happened when Katrina hit. You picture what it could look like but I guess once you see it thru pictures or first hand experience, you never are quite ready for what you're going to see. Great pictures!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb