We are on our Way


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
September 17th 2017
Published: September 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We wanted to check in with everyone before we actually leave for Norway. Right now we are sitting in Black Sheep Pizza in the Minneapolis Airport – eating pizza and watching the World Championship Team Trial from earlier today. We are already having an awesome vacation!

Yesterday we visited Uncle Earle, Aunt Betty Jane and Lynette. Dave brought them up to date on the ancestry project he is working on; some new facts about the family in the 1917-1918 period. And as we always do – we learned new stuff about Earle and Betty Jane that we didn’t know. This visit, we learned that they had a Coast to Coast store after Earle returned from WWII. Betty Jane is a second generation American – her mother was born in America, but her grandparents came from Norway. So they wanted to hear all about our plans when we visit Norway. Their family is from around Oslo – which is on the other side of the country from Bergen – but only about 6 hours by train … so maybe we can squeeze a visit in before we come back. We also stopped by Dave’s sister Marcia’s house and took their new electric bikes out for a quick spin …. My kind of riding for sure – but I need more practice before I am really safe for rising with other people.

The highlight of yesterday was Dave’s 50th high school class reunion. A very good affair at the Faribault American Legion. We figure about 75%!o(MISSING)f the class showed up … but once again Craig Edwards was not in attendance. I have looked for Craig at every reunion we go to … and have struck out every time. At some point during Dave’s high school career – Craig got hung out of a window by his feet – by Dave and his buddy … and I just want to make sure he wasn’t overly scarred by this incident. Dave did get to talk to some of his old teachers, principals, and superintendents – all of who seemed to remember Dave somehow. Curious I think, but I could not get any stories out of any of them. Dave met up with his old wrestling coach – the man who started it all – and they had a good talk about the old days. One of his female classmates did mention to me that Dave had been the sexiest wrestler in school … I was slightly startled by this – but did remark that I guess that meant he hadn’t changed very much. I will Dave add his thoughts in on his reunion at the end of this.

On Sunday – after we watched the Singapore Grand Prix – we went on a bike ride around the lakes in St Paul and Minneapolis – one of our favorite riding routes. It was a perfect day – blue skies, sunny, not too hot and not too cool. We had time to ride for about 2 hours before we had to get ready to go to the airport. Really fun.

No trouble at all getting checked in and through security at the airport – great pizza – and awesome to get in the mood watching the races from today. We should get to Bergen and to our apartment by about 3PM tomorrow. Bad news from the telecast just now that Peter Sagan is a little under the weather – and will not participate in the Team Time Trial today to try and recover in time to defend his road race title next Sunday. We hope he gets better – he is super fun to watch and cheer for.

Will check in with you all tomorrow from Bergen! We are looking forward to a great trip and adventure.

Advertisement



17th September 2017

I'm jealous already and you're not even in Norway yet!
18th September 2017

Singapore Grand Prix
How about that start on the Grand Prix. That was a crazy way to begin.

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb