New Ulm: Morgan Creek Winery


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » New Ulm
May 27th 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Turn off the dirt road...Turn off the dirt road...Turn off the dirt road...

and you've arrived.

MORGAN CREEK WINERY



Billed as the only underground winery in Minnesota, Morgan Creek Winery (morgancreekvineyards.com) is about 10 minutes outside New Ulm. The drive in is beautiful; turn right before the creek. The winery building is set inside the hill and spills out into a pasture. There are plenty of tables for folks to sit a spell, as well as a fire pit. Live music drifted out of the building, and folks were spending their Friday evening sipping wine and snacking on wood-fired pizza ($6.25-$7), swiss raclette ($4.75) and bruschette sticks ($6.75).

My toddler immediately went running through the field, straight to the swing hanging from a huge tree. We chased her down there and relaxed awhile, enjoying the early evening light coming down on the vineyard.

Then we headed back up. I had some wine to taste!

This particular evening, during the “Winedown for the Weekend” event, the tasting was free. Among the offerings were:
DRY
Puck’s Pride
St. John Researve
Colure
Redtail Ridge
SEMI-SWEET
Nova
Gerwurtztraminer
Zeitgeist
Relativity
SWEET
Fox Run
Morgan Creek Myst

I love their wine names. The place produces German, French and American-style wines, including Minnesota coldhearty varietals. I
Underground wineryUnderground wineryUnderground winery

I viewed it more as a berm home, as the place is situated in a hillside. A patio surrounds one side, and it's the perfect place to wine away a few hours.
would have enjoyed staying at the winery all evening, but the toddler had sat enough that day. I bought a few bottles to bring back, and off we went back to our hotel. Maybe I’ll return for the German winefest later in the summer, the Cambria Crush: The Annual Great Grape Stomp in the fall, or the Christmas Candlelight Winetasting.

Morgan Creek Winery
23708 478th Avenue
New Ulm
(Four miles south of New Ulm on Highway 15, then 4 miles each on County Road 24, and south 1/2 mile on 478th to site.)
507-947-3547
www.morgancreekvineyards.com
Hours: May to October - Friday & Saturday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday 12 a.m. to 5 p.m.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

This wayThis way
This way

Our toddler had her sights on the tree swing from the second we hopped out of the truck.
What a treeWhat a tree
What a tree

Isn't it amazing? You can watch the grapes grow while sitting in the swing.
SwingingSwinging
Swinging

The grounds are so picturesque at Morgan Creek Winery.
Wood fired snacksWood fired snacks
Wood fired snacks

This huge fireplace cooks up delicious treats to enjoy with your wine.
Order inOrder in
Order in

Get ready for a tasty delight.
Don't you just want to relax here?Don't you just want to relax here?
Don't you just want to relax here?

Bring a group or friends - or make some while you're there.
Free tastingFree tasting
Free tasting

I tried about 8 wines for free, part of the Wine-ing Down Friday event.
Running freeRunning free
Running free

The pasture between the winery and the swing was every child's dream.


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb