Counselor staff arrive


Advertisement
Published: June 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The rest of the staff (other camp counsellors like myself) arrived on Friday and it was nice to be at camp with other people who hadn't been here before either. I got put in a different cabin with five other girls which I really liked because I wasn't so lonely at night anymore. Staff training started that week and we played a big game of four cones which we play every Sunday night when campers arrive. We then had a campfire and sang songs and did some skits. Steve from Australia arrived today and it reminded me of home a lot! Staff training week involved a whole bunch of team building/bonding activities. It made us all get to know each other really quick which is nice and also important as the first round of campers arrive next Sunday. The meals are not that healthy. There is is much added sugar, salt and sauce to everything! Meals at camp are served family style so you go back to the kitchen to get seconds, thirds etc when the food is low. They only have a set amount of food per table but you still end up eating a large serving. We were put into groups and went around trying out the different achievements (activities) we have at camp to see which ones we would be good at or happy to teach the kids. Canoeing was by far the one I was worst at! I'm used to kayaking which is very different. We had to practice a T-rescue where one canoe has tipped over and another canoe rescues it by flipping it back over. In the practice drill was in the canoe that flipped, and when they came to flip us back over, I ended up flipping both canoes! Looks like I won't be teaching canoeing this summer... Kayaking was fun, we had to practice getting out of the kayak when it flips over underwater. It was pretty scary because you're upside down underwater. Two staff are at each end of the kayak and flip you over, you have to tap the kayak three times and then swim out of the kayak and surface on the side. It was actually pretty simple but I accidentally swam back into the kayak instead of surfacing to the side. One night we had a big jambalaya cook up at the waterfront and a canoe race. I was with Sarah and Kelley and was at the front of the canoe. We didn't win but it was fun and didn't flip! On Wednesday night we all were put into groups and had an overnight. Overnights are where we would take our campers to a camping sight around the camp and cook dinner, dessert and breakfast on a fire we make ourselves and then sleep in a tent for the night. I was in a group with Sarah B, Hailey, Andrea, Joe and Miles H. They are all very nice people and it was super fun! We made goulash for dinner and s'mores for dessert. Because the camp is trying to be healthier this year, we didn't get the traditional gram crackers for the s'mores, instead we had whole grain,salted soup crackers. I still really liked them but everyone said I will have to try a traditional s'more! The next morning we made fried oats for breakfast which was super yum and then headed back to camp. Friday night once staff training had finished, we all went to the local pub called the chuu chuu bar and had a drink. Most people drink beer here so I also had a beer. They are also huge servings and I surprised myself and finished the whole beer. Most of the staff went home as they all live fairly close to the camp but some stayed at camp and we all had a few drinks at camp after.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



14th June 2014

Yup, definitely stay out of the canoes!
All looks like fun

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb