Michigan Road Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Traverse City
August 10th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tim and I decided that a lovely road trip to northern Michigan would be a terrific way to spend July 4th weekend. We stopped along the way to see my mother, brother and his family in Crown Pointe, IN. My brother has two boys, Jake (7) and Ryan (5). We had a great visit, and enjoyed some good ole' fashion Indiana garage sitting (see photos).

The next day we travel up to spend the night with my dad and stepmom in Grand Rapids, and then continued the trip "Up North" to Elk Rapids, MI.

Tim's dad and stepmother have a beautiful cottage on Bass Lake where we relaxed, met Raven (new puppy) and enjoyed the company of family. Tim's sister, Leigh Anne, was also visiting from Orlando, FL.

We drove to Mackinaw City and met Tim's mom and stepdad one day. We all ferried over to Mackinaw Island for a splendid day of walking, shopping and eating fudge. The fudge was wonderful, but hanging out with family was the BEST!!! Mackinaw Island had a total year-round population of 523, although there are thousands more during the summer tourist season. From 1818 to 1882 the city was the county seat of Michilimackinac (later Mackinac) county. A unique ordinance prohibits the use of any motorized vehicles on the island. The most common means of travel are foot, bicycle, and horseback. Mackinac Island is home to the Grand Hotel where the 1980 movie Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour was filmed. That film presents a rare exception in which motorized vehicles were allowed on the island.

While in Elk Rapids, we enjoyed the first day of the, Traverse City National Cherry Festival. We saw the air show, and I ate everything cherry, really, everything is cherry. Traverse City is the "Cherry Capital of the World," holding an annual week-long Cherry Festival the first full week in July to celebrate. Besides cherries, the surrounding Tuscany-like countryside produces grapes, and is one of the centers of wine production in the Midwest. Northern Michigan wine country, which is mostly located along the Mission Peninsula, which heads up the middle of the Grand Traverse Bay is a beautiful drive. The views are breath-taking with pretty water views from each side. The wine isn't half bad either.




Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb