Lake of the Clouds


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Ontonagon
October 12th 2018
Published: October 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I wrestled all morning with the decision to ride today or just lay low at the Gateway Lodge. After having a late breakfast, I started thinking that with the snowmobile pants and all the other gear on it wouldn't be too bad to ride. It was about 36 degrees and passing snow showers all day and WAS kind of iffy. If the temps should drop below 32, it wouldn't be good to be on the road. About 2:00 I decided to give it a go. It's about 75 miles to Lake of the Clouds and with all the right clothes on, it was comfortable to ride. Lake of the Clouds is in the Porcupine Mountains in the northwest of the Upper Peninsula right near Lake Superior and the whole area is beautiful in all seasons.



The roads up here are wonderful to ride, smooth, scenic and little traffic. There was an awful lot of color along the highways and I did stop a couple times to take a picture. I was really enjoying the ride although I wished it weren't so darned overcast. The snow showers continued also. The color is right at it's peak and if it were a sunny day, the colors would be spectacular.



I've been to Lake of the Clouds several times snowmobiling, but this is the first time here in any season but winter. There were quite a few other tourists there, which kind of surprised me with the weather. The views were really beautiful even though the overcast made it quite a bit more subtle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



12th October 2018
Lake of the Clouds

Beautiful country!
Amazing colors and beautiful terrain up there! Enjoy!
12th October 2018

Beautiful pictures!
12th October 2018

Trippin
Great picks !!
15th October 2018
Road to Lake of the Clouds

Perfect picture
Perfect highway

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb