Biking the Chippewa Trail in Midland Michigan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Midland
August 7th 2012
Published: August 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

cippewa nature trail


Biking the Chippewa Nature Trail in Midland Michigan.





Text and Photos last updated: August 2015
Number of times we have biked this trail: Four


The Basics:



Location: Midland to Chippewa Nature Center
Distance: 5.5 km (3.5 miles) one way
Distance markers: on pavement every .5 mile
Surface: asphalt
Width: 3 metres
Grade: Flat
Conditions of trail:Very good
Parking: yes
Water: at each end
Washrooms: at each end
Garbage containers: at eacg ebd
Rest Areas: benches and tables




This is a short paved trail from Midland Michigan to the Chippewa Nature Center, a distance of 5.5 km (3.5 miles) Even though this a flat trail you can tell that it was NOt a former rail line. Instead of being straight as an arrow, this trail has lots of twists and turns!




The trail begins at Midland’s famous Tridge (three bridges) park in downtown Midland. The Pere Marquette trail also begins here (see separate blog)



There is free parking and washrooms right at the Tridge. At the centre of the Tridge turn left where the trail begins. For a short distance you will travel through parkland and ball diamonds (lots of portable bathrooms here)



Within the first mile (mileage markers are on the pavement) a short trail goes off to the left to an overlook. The trail continues over a bridge, a marsh and open fields. There are plenty of benches and signs which explain natural occurrences on the trail.



As you get closer to the Nature Centre, you will come across a man made bog, with water lilies etc. The open fields give way to a forested section with lots of shade. There is also a porta potty just before the Nature Center. The trail ends at the Nature Centre with lots of covered picnic areas and the Visitor Centre. The Visitor Centre is VERY WELL done and is a worth a minimum of ½ hour or more.



Within the Nature Center there are many walking trails and you can also continue on a dirt road and explore many pioneer buildings (school, sugar shack, homes, gardens, livestock etc)



By the way all admissions are FREE!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.577s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb