Windsor/Detroit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Detroit
October 20th 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We definitly arrived WAY too late in Windsor (where we spent a couple of nights with my brother). We were having such a good time in Toronto that we decided to leave in the afternoon....little did we know that there would be a car accident (not involving us thankfully) which would prolong our stay in Toronto even further....Needless to say by the time we got out of there and drove the 4-5 hour trip to Windsor it was about 2 am. But, my good ole brother Drew and his roommate we up waiting for us none the less!! Then, he was even good enough to let us have his bed. What a nice guy 😊
Anyways, so we had a very short stay in the Windsor/Detroit area, but an interesting one to say the least. We went to Detroit for the day, the first day after we arrived. We were thoroughly warned about the area, and even the border guard told us not to venture away from the downtown area (his actual words were "If you go to these areas, you will be walking back to Nova Scotia"). But, we did end up finding our way to Dearborn, the site of the original Henry Ford factory: "The Ford Rouge". (Named after the River Rouge which is located right next to it). We thought it would be cool to take a tour of the factory which makes the present day Ford F-150. So we did just that. Unfortunatly, it wasn't as interesting as one might have imagined. It was so steril and all of the workers just looked so miserable that I kindof made me sad. Anyways, afterward we went to the Museum, which is only partially dedicated to cars. This museum is HUGE!! I can't even believe it. Not only does is have one of the largest artifact collections in the country, it also have a living history area right next door. That part is miles and miles long, it has hundreds of actors and houses that represent the Wright brothers, and many other famous people. Basically we didn't even have time to get to the entrance way of that part! But as for the museum (which we did get to see) basically it has old trains, cars, airplains (plus the history that goes along with all that). But it also has the famous bus Rosa Parks was on when she was arrested, the chair that Lincoln died in, the Oscar Myre Weiner mobile...etc. It was so amazing! We were there for hours, and we didn't come close to seeing everything. There was even a section where you could create your own knex car and then race it, as well as a place where you can learn to make paper airplains and a mock assembly line for Ford's first car....crazy I tell you.
So, that done with...we decided we better head downtown and see what it's like in the core of Detroit. The first thing we noticed is the lack of people there....it was completely dead. We went on the People mover (like a subway above ground). This thing just does continuous laps of the city, so we got to see it all, the whole downtown core. We had to stop at the Joe Louis Arena (Red Wings!) just to see, but there were no games on so we couldn't go inside. We also got to see Detroits famous Radio City's Music hall, Comerica Park (where the Tigers play) and the Ford Stadium. This was all just a few blocks from each other. I was really surprise at how small Detroit was. We saw pretty much the whole city in just a few short hours. It was fun wandering around, but we didn't want to stay in the city too late (especially after all the warnings we got from everyone about how dangerous Detroit is) so we left pretty early in the evening to go back to Windsor and have dinner with Drew.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb