Score Card


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

DSC00836DSC00836DSC00836

lighthouses
Monday

Today’s Score Card

Elevator 1 – Susan 0 : We started the day early as we knew we had a long day. We got all our luggage together and Susan and I went down to checkout and the get car and pack it. We got in the elevator and on the first floor Susan holds the door for me while I get the luggage cart out. Then Susan heads out of the door and I’ve never seen an elevator move so fast and not stop. It caught her mid stride and pushed her over into the wall. Susan had even seen the door coming and put her hand out to stop the door that was one messed up elevator door. Whoa…. The front desk heard about that.

Dunkin Donuts 21.2 : After leaving hotel we decided to find a Dunkin Donuts. Pam googled the locations and off we headed. As we were driving down the road we passed one. What?? We turned around and well, the lot was full so we headed on. We drive to the next one. Well it was at the airport, really, google maps sent us to the one in the airport. Ok,
DSC00817DSC00817DSC00817

Hyannis Port
let’s get back on the highway and find something. We have to drive around the airport twice to get out. You first come in on the top level but have to circle around to the bottom level to get out. Ok, where do we end up, at the corner for the first Dunkin Donut and there was a parking place so we went in. After we left we said we should have bought a lotto ticket since it seems something wanted us to go there. Not 3 miles later we see the next Dunkin Donuts. We kept counting all day and got up to 21. The .2 comes in on the virtual ones (airport one we didn’t see and the ad for one on the interstate). Oh and guess where the last one is, across the street from the new hotel.

Houses 3000+ : This category has several sub categories.

Lighthouses 9.2: Today’s lighthouse tour started on a bridge where we spotted the first of several lighthouses. We then drove into Newport and out onto Goat Island to view the 2 light house. Yes, Stephanie, we got pictures. Our next goal was to find the 4th oldest lighthouse
20150720_11503520150720_11503520150720_115035

Aerial view of the Breakers
in the US, Castle Hill. Claire is navigating along with the phone gps. We get down there but don’t see anything. So we say it has to be down this road, no, but we saw some lovely houses and seascapes. We double back and head down roads that you can see on the map. We are diving thru this neighborhood and see a yard ornament light house. (one of the .1s) we next go on the last street it can be on but no light house. We end up at a club at the end of the road and the valet tells us there is a path to it. No signs??? If he hadn’t told us how to get to it, we would have never found it. (pull off the road, walk on an unpaved path and over a grassy hill but there it was). We saw many other lighthouses along the way including a lamp post mom called a light house (the other .1)

Real houses: Old houses, Big Houses, Mega houses, Castles : In Newport we saw old houses, really old houses. In Newport the oldest house we saw was from 1720. There were entire neighborhoods of houses from the 1700s and 1800s. Next we saw the large old houses along the water (bay water) Then we saw the .001% houses. These houses were huge, really large. We saw the Breakers another home of the Vanderbelts (for you non east coast folks, the Biltmore House is one of their other ones). So this is how the .001% live. Oh yes, we got the aerial view.

Castle, we saw the Smith Castle, we didn’t even know we had a castle and it was from the 1600s. There was also a castle tower (not sure if it also falls into the light house category) Other houses of interest – A boat House(a house shaped like a boat) and a play house. Yes, we also saw Hyannis Port – The Kennedy houses. Susan and Sally got chased away by the friendly security as we watched on.

During our day we also went to “old” Orleans. I added the old since I just came from New Orleans and we saw many windmills. The windmills where of many shapes and sizes. We ended up in Provincetown for dinner and tried to eat at an ocean front restaurant and lodge, but no room in the Inn for the Smith gang until 10 so we went further down the road. Would have loved to have spent more time there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

DSCN2099DSCN2099
DSCN2099

old house
DSCN2085DSCN2085
DSCN2085

our castle


Tot: 0.55s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb