If You Visit South Dartmouth MA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts
August 7th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Now that the general store has closed, there is little reason to visit here unless it is simply the most convenient place to stop for the night. (Or if you want to rent a car.) Other nearby harbors are New Bedford and Fairhaven, both just a few miles up the coast, or tiny, exquisite Quisset on the other side of Buzzards Bay. Quisset is our preferred stop when traveling between Cuttyhunk and Marion.

There is space to anchor outside the moorings but I do not recommend doing so as the breakwater provides no protection and wakes from the big fishing boats heading in and out of New Bedford will find their way into the anchorage. So I recommend paying the NBYC $50 for a mooring. Their launch service is excellent ... which is just as well because your mooring may be a long way from their dock ... :-)

If you find yourself here in good weather and would like to go for a long and pretty walk, Jana & I once crossed the bridge in the middle of town and kept turning right until we walked around the entire upper harbor. Five miles perhaps?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb