If You Visit Cuttyhunk MA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts
August 6th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Moorings are usually available, so you can decide whether to pick one up or to anchor. The moorings here are very unusual. The mooring buoys have a standing pole with an eye at the top and you must supply your own mooring line. You thread your line through the eye and tie the ends to your boat-cleats. It takes a bit of skill. Once you are secure, you can relax on deck and smile in a superior manner as other arriving boats try their skill. First time visitors sometimes look quite puzzled. This is all first-come-first-served. The management will come visiting in the evening to collect their dues.

On the most popular days, you may find that the entire pond is full. If so, there are plenty of rental moorings in the outer harbor.

It is several years since we have been ashore here. But it is a pretty, hilly little island and a great place to go for a walk. The locals and visitors drive round the island on golf carts. You will need to use your dinghy to go ashore, as there is no launch service here. There is a one hotel with a great covered porch where they serve meals to residents and non-residents alike. The hotel is a pleasant mile walk from Cuttyhunk Pond. When we last went ashore, there was (and we guess still is) a basic general store and a pizza place. Diesel is available at a pinch but the fuel dock also serves as the dock for the ferry from New Bedford. So we buy our diesel in other ports.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb