The Fog Bank


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Edgar's Soda FountainEdgar's Soda FountainEdgar's Soda Fountain

We weren't fast enough to get a picture BEFORE we had the ice cream sodas
There was a fun interruption to our summer cruise (more on that later) but we have been anxious to get going towards Maine. Lauren doesn't work on Sundays so it would be nice to be in Portland then. The weather has been AWFUL in New England and this week it has been 60 degree temperatures with rain and drizzle which is not dangerous but certainly unpleasant. Then came the thunderstorms (a boater killed on Cape Cod). The wind was also on the nose so we have been watching the forecasts. Today the wind was to be from a sailable direction-- but there were thunderstorms and more rain in the forecast... and fog for good measure. We were surprised when we got up this morning that visibility looked good and there was no rain. We waited a while and it seemed to be holding. We have radar, of course, but prefer passages that don't require them just as pilots prefer non instrument landings. We knew not to head to the Isles of Shoals because with a big holiday weekend the moorings would be in use and it's not a great place to anchor. With west winds forecast we decided to take Rhumb
Kum & GoKum & GoKum & Go

Filling stations in South Dakota have catchy names... and often feature slot machines and other gambling. Note "Casino" sign.
Runner's suggestion and head for Rockport.

Sure enough when we were well underway the fog settled in. The closer we got to Cape Ann the thicker it got so that by the time we needed to maneuver between Milk and Thacher islands we could see only a boat length. Add the lobster trap buoys and fishing boats and there was plenty of "keeping a sharp lookout." We needed to round Straitsmouth Island (rather than going through the strait) to head into Rockport. We never saw a thing, though we know there are several lighthouses in the area and islands too. We could hear the surf crashing on Straitsmouth and the fog horn was loud from its lighthouse. As we passed Avery Ledge just beyond we could just make out its red marker. When it was close abeam the curtain lifted and we were in FULL sun with almost unlimited visibility. Dozens of small sailboats were having a holiday race and Rockport appeared crisp and colorful to port! Looking over our shoulder we could see the think gray fog bank right behind us. It never ceases to amaze us how quickly fog can set in and just as quickly lift!

Now back to the interruption. We flew from Boston to Omaha so we could attend an all school reunion in Elk Point, SD. It is the town's 150th anniversary so all graduates were invited back to help celebrate. That is so much more fun than a one year reunion as you always have friends from other class years. While in the Midwest we also had a family reunion in Minneapolis so there was lots of hugging talking and driving. A quick but pleasant visit seeing lots of friends and family (but unfortunately never everyone you'd LIKE to see). While there we tried our best to sample our favorite regional dishes, of course. This included pork tenderloin sandwiches(pounded thin, breaded and fried), taverns (seasoned loose meat sandwiches), Blue Bunny cherry nut ice cream, Ice Cream sodas from Edgar's soda fountain, sour cream raisin pie and hash browns (grated raw potatoes that are seared on the grill-- crispy outside and soft inside) at Cody's (both Edgar's and Cody's are in Elk Point). We didn't have Rocky Mountain Oysters (don't ask) but went to the Legion club for broasted chicken and potatoes (both are fried under pressure). Not the healthiest fare-- but it all tasted like home! In recent decades nearby Sioux City has had a large influx if immigrants from Vietnam and Mexico so ethnic food is great and reasonably priced. We sampled. No steaks this trip but we didn't leave hungry!!

Now that we are back on the boat we will be eating healthier things, starting with the nice fish Christian caught off shore this morning. Can't tell you for sure WHAT fish it is as we inadvertently left our fish, bird and flower guides in Georgia! Mussels and lobsters and blueberries are just around the corner in Maine!!

More soon... Mary & Christian / I Wanda




Advertisement



12th July 2009

midwest pictures
Have you had comments on the gas station picture?? Kum and Go can't be just everywhere ! Enjoyed the picture of us at Edgars Soda Shop in Elk Point. Glad it was all "a taste of home" .

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb