Old Sturbridge Village - Massachusetts


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I guess you've all been wondering where we've been lately since I haven't update the blog in almost two weeks. We left Maine on June 20th and arrived in Connecticut that afternoon. It was the day of New Englands first heat wave of 2012. The afternoon temperature that day was around 94 degrees and very muggy. The thing about the weather here in Connecticut is that even though it can get hot and humid, it never lasts more than a few days. Then it's back in the 70's again and very comfortable. Anyway, we're all settled at the campgrounds for the summer. We are next door to one of my sisters and across the street from another. It's nice to be around my family for a while. Yesterday was the first time since we've been here that Sally and I have gone sight seeing. We drove up to Massachusetts and visited Old Sturbridge Village. Old Sturbridge Village is a village that represents what life was like in a rural New England town from 1790 to 1840. Costumed historians describe what life was like and are there to answer any questions you may have. Hope you enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Old Sturbridge VillageOld Sturbridge Village
Old Sturbridge Village

Flags placed for 4th of July
Small House BedroomSmall House Bedroom
Small House Bedroom

Mattresses were stuffed with straw in the summer and feathers in the winter.
Friends Meetinghouse.Friends Meetinghouse.
Friends Meetinghouse.

Friends is another word for 'Quakers'. This is an example of a Quaker Church where men sat on the left side of the hall and women sat on the right.
Friends Meetinghouse DoorFriends Meetinghouse Door
Friends Meetinghouse Door

Men entered thru the left door and women entered thru the right.
Puritan ChurchPuritan Church
Puritan Church

Puritans displayed no religeous symbols in their Churches.
Salem Knight's General StoreSalem Knight's General Store
Salem Knight's General Store

Salem Knight is the name of the man who owned the local general store where you could purchase drygoods, food items, etc.
Spinning WheelSpinning Wheel
Spinning Wheel

Spinning yarn from wool


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb