If You Visit Scituate MA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Scituate
August 15th 2013
Published: August 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Scituate is just superbly located. We always stop here on our outbound run to Boston or Salem, and again on the way back.

Unusually for marinas in New England, the Cole Parkway Marina is run by the harbormaster. Being “the government”, the management of the marina has several odd policies. There is not much transient dock-space here, so it is advisable to call ahead. They will say neither “yea” nor “nay” but will note your name on a list of people who have requested dock-space. We have not the slightest idea what purpose this serves. In fact, when we arrive, they have always found us a space, but it has sometimes been in a slip that is supposedly reserved for boats that are towed into port. The slips are short and space is tight. You will probably need to tie-up stern-to. Have lots of fenders and long lines available! Once you are secure, it it both comfortable and extremely convenient. The marina’s other quirk is that they do not take “cards”. You either pay cash ... or they will take a check ... :-)

This is an especially convenient port to refill the larder and the drinks locker. And do the laundry.

However, "Phin's" has closed. Phin's was for many years the main street diner and the best place to go for breakfast. Now I think, you will have to make do with Dunkin Donuts. As we have seen so often, it appears that the new restaurant that is being built in the same location will open just as the Summer Season is closing ... :-)

There are lots of moorings in the harbor. I guess that you can find a mooring even on the busiest days.

This is a great place to go walking. One nice walk takes you all round the harbor to the rather famous lighthouse on one of the two breakwaters.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb