Still Preparing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Cape Cod
August 21st 2010
Published: August 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

So much to do! This is not your typical move...no way. Moving to another location in the U.S. is simple compared to this. Mexico will allow us to cross the border once, just once, with household "stuff". Transporting all our wordly possessions is both an art and a science. To import household good, we must list everything...and I mean everything. Each and every electronic item and/or appliance must have listed it's model number and serial number on the manifest. Each box must be numbered and everything in each box must be listed. This is becoming quite a chore for us. Bill and I have been working for a while now packing. I must have this done by Tuesday so I can bring it to the Embassy and get approval.
If that's not enough, we still have our U.S. life to attend to before we go. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about things that needs to be done. We will not have mail forwarded because we will receive no mail down there. Mexico can not be trusted with the mail. This is, actually, as good thing for us. Think about it. The only mail we pick up in our post office box is bills. Not so in Mexico! No mail = no bills. No problemo! I like it already!
Obviously, living in Mexico is not for everyone. As a foreign country, it can take some time getting used to. For those of you who are stuck in your ways, or not ready to experience some inconveniences, Mexico can be a real challenge. If you are up for the challenge, though, you can meet some wonderful people and experience everything Mexico has to offer. Living in Mexico, to us, seems like the next best thing to living in paradise.
Thinking about where we will end up when this adventure is over, makes it all worthwhile. I have no complaints.


Advertisement



22nd August 2010

no mail?
hi Tricia! No mail? At all? Do you mean you don't trust the mail or they have no mail? Hope you stay in touch on line!
24th August 2010

The Mail in Mexico...
Basically, you can't depend on it. I've been handed envelopes by people who live there, to be brought back to the States to be mailed. The only delivery service that I've found to work is DHL. If absolutely necessary, we can use our builders address in Chetumal. But no, we won't have any mail coming to us.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb